Chapter Nine

I watched through tear-filled eyes as Baron took his last breath, I turned my attention to the heart monitor, watching as it showed his last few heartbeats before it flatlined.  The quiet room quickly filled with the annoying sound that, that annoying sound that kept reminding me that my best friend was really gone. The door flew open as Doctor Andrew and a few nurses came running into the room.

“Casey?” Doctor Andrew asked as he slowly approached me.

I let go of Baron's hand, standing from the chair I was currently sitting in, I moved closer to the bed, leaning over Baron as I brushed back the hair from his forehead, before placing a kiss to his forehead.

“I’m so sorry I couldn’t save you, Baron.” I moved away from Baron, as I gently picked up a sleeping Amara from Baron's chest, I held her close to me as I left the room.

“Casey?”

I turned to see Jesse and Katie standing behind me, Katie walked up to me, placing her hand on my arm as she gave me a concerned look.

“What’s wrong?” she asked.

I sucked in a shaky breath as I turned my attention to Jesse.

“What’s wrong Casey, is it Baron?”

 “I-,” that was all I was able to get out before my legs buckled, I could feel my body falling but it was like I was frozen.

Katie was quick to move, as she quickly but safely took Amara from my arms, I was trying to prepare my body for the impact it was about to make with the hard tile floor, but before I could hit the floor a pair of strong arms wrapped themselves around my upper body. I looked behind me to see Calum was the one who had caught me, his lips were moving like he was saying something to me, but I couldn’t hear a single word that was leaving his mouth.

Calloused hands grabbed my face, forcing me to look at Jesse. It was like the more I tried to focus on what people were saying to me the more I was panicking. My breathing became erratic, as tears began to burn their way down my face, the one person I needed more than ever right now was lying dead a few rooms down from me.

I forcefully shoved everyone away from me, I stood from the floor before running towards the exit of the hospital, once I reached the double doors, I threw them open. I ran down the steps of the hospital, heading straight towards the woods, I wasted no time in ridding myself of my clothes, I quickly shifted, letting Micah have the full reins of me, as we ran deep into the woods.

It was a risky move to let Micah have a hundred percent control of us, but he was feeling Baron's loss as hard as I was, this was the only way I knew how to let him get his rage and sadness out. Micah ran until we came to where Alpha Trenton’s pack territory line was at, Micah’s legs were shaking to the point I was worried he was going to collapse, we still weren’t fully healed, especially Micah.

“Do I need to take over?” I asked, only to have Micah growl at me.

“I take that as a no.”

Micah huffed out before he started to pace back and forth, I could feel so much anger radiating from him, Micah let out a bone-chilling roar, causing the various wildlife that had been surrounding us to quickly run away in fear. Micah breathed in a deep breath before he began to howl, it was only seconds later that other howls from our surviving pack members joined Micah.

It wasn’t long before several wolves cautiously walked up to us before we continued to howl for our fallen, we lost so many people today, we lost both Alpha Lueger and our future Alpha, Baron. We lost several of our warriors, pack members lost their mates, children, their loved ones in the battle. So here we stood, howling at the moon, hoping the Moon Goddess would hear our sorrows, but mainly I think we were all hoping for this to all be a dream.