Chapter Eleven

"Are you ready?" Katie asked as the vehicle we were in came to a stop in front of the pack house, well what was left of our old pack house.

The once lively house now was nothing more than burnt rubble. The house that used to hold so many memories now was gone, we could rebuild but it wouldn't be the same. I reluctantly got out of the car with Katie, Jesse, and Calum soon joining us.

Another vehicle pulled in behind ours, parking as Destiny exited the vehicle with Amara and Trenton. Eventually, everyone showed up, and we began the walk through the forest to where the cemetery was. Two warriors walked ahead of us, opening the gate for everyone, once I was in the cemetery I honestly thought my legs were going to give out on me.

I knew we had lost half of our pack, but seeing all of the caskets lined up next to their graves was overwhelming, I grabbed Katie's hand, trying to keep myself calm. She squeezed my hand letting me know she was here for me, that she wasn't going anywhere, I let out a shaky breath as I pulled Katie with me to the front as everyone else went to their loved one's casket.

"Casey, is it ok for me to be up here?" Katie asked.

"I need you," I said, tightening my grip on her hand.

"I won't go anywhere, I promise," she said.

"Thank you."

"Alpha Casey," Jesse said, walking up to me as he handed me a piece of paper with all of the names of our fallen.

"Beta Jesse," I said, taking the paper from him.

Baron and Lueger are no longer here, which means the Alpha position goes to the next highest ranking wolf, which would be me. I went from being Baron's right-hand man to now the Alpha over the entire pack, I upgraded Jesse from the head Warrior to my Beta, there was no one else in the pack that could help me run this pack as well as he could.

"We gather here today to say goodbye to the loved ones we have lost, the ones that sacrificed their lives to make sure that the ones they loved, the ones they cared for more than anything, would be safe and sound. Some of you lost your sons, your daughters, mates, some of you even lost your parents, we also lost our Alpha and Luna, as well as Alpha Lueger. Then as if it wasn't already bad enough, we lost our pack house, we all lost everything we held dear to us."

I looked around to see everyone was watching me so intensely, the air around me felt like it was somehow thicker than before, as I looked down at Baron's casket. I placed my free hand on top of his wooden casket, not wanting to believe he was really in there.

"I know there's nothing I can really say to make any of you feel better, we're all grieving in different ways and for different reasons, but one thing I know for sure is that Alpha Baron and Lueger loved this pack with their whole heart and soul, even if Alpha Lueger at times seemed like he hated every single one of us," I said getting a few chuckles.

Alpha Lueger could be a son of a bitch at times, but he was a good man, he basically took me under his wing after my father had passed away.

"They fought until they took their last breaths, making sure their family was taken care of, Baron loved this pack just as much if not more than his father, Jax and him had so much pride in being our Alpha, and I know if he was here right now he would tell all of us that we shouldn't be so sad, because he and everyone else here died protecting the one thing that mattered most to them and that is their family. So I would like for us to take a moment of silence for our fallen loved ones then I will proceed to call out their names, to thank them for their sacrifice."

After a minute of silence I began to name off the one hundred and thirty-two names, one hundred and thirty-two loved ones now gone forever, one hundred and thirty-two red roses passed out to every family who lost someone, one hundred and thirty-two wolves that I couldn't save. The longer I stood here the more guilty I felt, maybe, just maybe if I had stayed behind, maybe I could have saved more people, maybe Baron would be here to see Amara grow up.

Maybe.