Chapter Ten

(Katie's Pov)

Casey and his pack members howled for most of the night, I may not be a wolf but I could feel their pain, I was currently sitting in Casey’s hospital room, feeding Amara as Casey caught up on much-needed sleep. Today was going to be a hard day on Casey, well, I guess everyone in his pack, today was the day they were going to hold a mass burial for everyone who had died. Dad had sent a few of our pack members to Casey’s territory, making sure the graves were ready.

There was a soft knock at the door before it opened, revealing Jesse in a black suit, along with Calum and Erik, and Erik’s wife Sara. They all walked into the room as I started to burp Amara, she began to fuss at me, she wasn’t in the best mood today, but that was mainly due to her picking up on everyone’s somber mood, especially Casey.

“Good morning, honey,” Sara said with a soft smile on her face.

“Good morning,” I said, trying to get Amara to calm down, so she didn’t wake Casey up.

“Why is she crying?” a deep, groggy voice asked, causing me to look over in Casey’s direction.

He was sitting on the edge of the bed, with his legs dangling over the side, I could tell he had just woken up, he still looked half asleep.

“She’s just in a fussy mood today,” I said as Casey stood up, walking over to where I was at, before taking Amara out of my arms and into his own, causing her to instantly calm down.

“She’s wanting Baron,” Casey mumbled out, as he left the room.

“I feel like I did something wrong,” I said, watching as the door closed behind him.

“You didn’t do anything wrong, Baron was his rock, Baron was the only one who knew how to calm him in situations like this, and now Casey has lost that,” Jesse said, letting out a sigh as he laid Casey’s suit across the bed.

“Just give him time, he’ll come around,” Sara said, trying to reassure me.

“I hope so,” I said right as Casey walked back into the room with my mother and father right behind him.

“I couldn’t remember which one you were wanting so I brought both with me,” my mom said as she held up two different black outfits.

“The dress please,” Casey said laying Amara down on the bed as he removed her sleeper.

“How about I dress her and you get a shower,” my mom said, placing the dress on the bed as she began to guide Casey across the room towards the bathroom.

“Thanks,” Casey mumbled out as he walked into the bathroom, shutting the door behind him.

“Poor baby,” my mom said as she changed Amara’s diaper, cleaning her before putting a clean one on her.

“How are you holding up dear? Casey said you three were really close,” my mom asked as she finished dressing Amara into her black dress.

“Like shit honestly, I knew eventually we would lose someone in our little group but I didn’t expect it to be so soon, it's not like I thought we would live forever, it’s just,” Jesse said, as his bottom lip began to quiver.

My dad walked over to him, placing his hand on his shoulder, trying to comfort him the best way he knew how, Jesse placed his hand on top of my dad's, squeezing it as his body began to shake.

“Excuse us,” my dad said as he and Jesse quickly left the room, but not before you could hear a sob escape him.

“Maybe I shouldn’t have said anything,” my mom said.

“You didn’t do anything wrong Destiny, they’re just going through a lot,” Sara said.

“Katie how about you go get ready real quick. Once Casey gets out of the shower and is ready, we’ll be leaving,” Erik said, reminding me that I was still in my pajamas.

“Right,” I said giving him a thankful smile.

I had honestly forgotten that I was still in my pajamas, after I had woke up this morning, I went straight to Casey’s room, my gut was telling me that I was needed and my gut had been right. When I got here Casey was a blubbering mess, I didn’t think that I would be able to get him to calm down, we sat on his bed, me holding him as he clung to me for dear life.

I stood from the chair that I was sitting in, I said a quick goodbye to everyone before exiting the room, I was halfway down the hallway before I could hear someone crying. I looked into the room that was right next to the double doors of the hospital, only to see Jesse clinging to my dad, my dad and I made eye contact, before I opened one of the doors, leaving the hospital.