Clemens Point

More problems have befallen us. More running.

Leviticus Cornwall. The oil, sugar, rail and greed merchant whom we robbed a while back had us ambushed in Valentine. Seems he has added to the price on our heads. We shot our way out of town, and narrowly escaped with our lives. The only amusing aspect of the horror was Herr Strauss getting grazed and acting like he was preparing for his short trip down to hell.

After this, we fled the country and headed even further south and east, camping by a lake.

This is pretty much new country for me. Charles and I saved a family of Germans who were in the process of getting themselves killed.

He's a better man than me. He does not need to think to be good. It comes naturally to him, like right is deep within as opposed to this conflict between GOOD < > EVIL that rages within me.

If only we had fled west out of Blackwater, we could be free now, out where we belong beyond civilization with the savages and the animals.

Here, we won't ever be at home.

So turns out we're holed up outside a town called Rhodes, deep in old cotton country.
The place has not recovered from the war and those folks that is sober enough to think are still angry.

The drunk, which is most of them, are angrier still but perhaps for other reasons.

Adding to the absurdity, we appear to be planning to deputize ourselves into the local law enforcement, and have already taken down a major bounty, on their behalf, but mostly to rescue slippery old Trelawny who had got himself arrested for some of his usual NONSENSE.

Seems like there is a long running BLOOD feud between two old families here, and both Dutch and Hosea believe they may be sitting on a lot of gold.

We shall see I guess.

Mrs. Adler, the widow we rescued a while back, might be the craziest one of all of us. She fights like a cornered pole cat, with a rage and a blood lust that frightens the hell out of me. I ever get on her wrong side, and I am a dead man!

I don't intend to - she's a fine woman, amusing and good hearted and decent and angry. I took her shopping to stop her filleting old Pearson right in camp. After we got jumped she went insane and showed she can kill with the best of us.

Met an awful fella who will send me money if I send him fish, so he can send others the fish pretending he caught them, so they can pretend they caught them while out fishing with him. At least, I think that's it. Either way, the man, Jeremy Gill, was dreadful.

Met a fella called Miss Margaret. An animal trainer and showman or show-woman. Mistress of Danger. Quite a character. Wants me to find some missing animals.

A while ago, I met an odd man dressed as a lady animal trainer. Are all Englishmen that weird I wonder? All his animals were as fake as the rest of his act. Until I was to find and retrieve a "real lion" from somewhere or other in Africa I thought was going to be another dog. But no - it was a real lion - thing looked like it wanted me for its next meal.

After hunting a zebra that was a donkey and a tiger that was a cougar and another lion that was just a dog - or I think that's right - I think I've lost track of the whole thing, and an assistant that's a real woman and him a strange English maniac in a dress pretending to be all that he isn't. Remind yourself never to go on the stage.

The weird English guy gave me a pretty decent emerald as payment for my troubles. Maybe he wasn't so bad after all.

Saw Albert again. Bored of fighting animals, he tried to fight gravity. Again, he somehow survived. I hope he will now retire from a life even more idiotic and dangerous than mine.