Shady Belle

We've moved again. More trouble with the Pinkertons. More trouble with them locals. More trouble all around.
Little Jack's been kidnapped, so we're trying to find him. Apparently some fella in Saint Denis, Senor something or other, took umbrage to our presence and kidnapped him or, heaven forbid, worse.
We burnt down Braithwaite Manor when we went hunting for him, in an almighty scrap.
Then we got spoken to again by Agent Milton. This time, he asked us for Dutch's head on a platter. We got him to leave, but they ain't too pleased with us.

So we headed into Saint Denis to find little Jack. We was told he'd been kidnapped by some local gangster, this Italian feller called Bronte, a local tough guy. We ain't found him, but he's found us. Dutch and I headed into town and I managed to get myself robbed by a bunch of children. This was a new low, even by my standards. Anyway, we found Mr. Bronte and are going to pay him a call. We better get the boy back soon, not least because if we don't Abigail will kill the lot of us. All this after we burned down the Braithwaite Manor house looking for him and made some real enemies of ourselves back in that country. We're now hiding deep in the swamps, trying not to get eaten by wildlife or sunk too deep in the mud. I cannot decide which I like less - the swamps or the city. Both are full of parasites, reptiles and slime, but the swamp's prettier.
Dutch is trying to think of where we can run next, but in the meantime, we are deep in the swamps. Hiding in some disease ridden old plantation house, mostly swallowed up by nature. Guess we will find Jack, get some money, then flee, but where?
These bastards ain't giving up. We're a long way east of land we know and far from real open country.

Met a pair of fellas from a chain gang. Black fella named White. White fella named Black. They wanted to kill each other. They begged me to clear off some wanted posters for them.

Collected the posters. Old White and Black weren't so innocent as they seem.

I always heard Saint Denis was one of the 7 wonders of the world. If this is so, I don't care much to see the other 6. It's a depressing place that shows you the only thing worse than people is a whole lot of people. I have not ever met a lizard in a suit before, only now I have and his name is Angelo Bronte.

He is either our salvation or our damnation. This city's strongman, arrived from Italy a few years ago and now knows and controls everything and everyone. He had not harmed Jack, other than feeding him strange food, and Dutch seems to think that maybe we can get something from this oily dictator. Personally, I don't trust him more than I'd trust any hungry animal not to try and eat me, but for now, we are somewhat safe and hidden. Whole place gives me the creeps.

Found a crazy young woman, real strange looking. Locked in a kind of outhouse, hidden on Braithwaite Manor. World ain't a kind place to folk like her.

Mary wrote to me.

WANTS TO SEE ME AGAIN.

Oh, Mary, what fools we are, what a fool I am.

Met a crazy man in Saint Denis - a Professor no less. Marko Dragic. I'm still amazed by what I experienced. He had me control a tiny boat, remotely. How? I have no idea. I did not understand any of it, but even though he was annoying and a sharp mouth, he seemed obviously highly intelligent. Was I duped? I have no idea. Wouldn't be the first time I've fallen for the rantings of an intelligent man telling me how to think. Only he didn't tell me how to think. Whole thing was odd. Told me to come see him at his lab at Doverhill. MAYBE.

Met a curious French man in a bar. Bought him a drink and he gave me a picture. Said he was an artist, although I'm not sure I see what is so good about it.

Met a monk. Helped him free a couple of poor bastards from the islands someplace who were kept prisoner. The Monk - what was his name? Brother something or other, was a good fellow. One of these innocent people who make you feel better about human beings and even about yourself a little. Must be odd to see all that goodness in the world. Place always seemed dark and brutal to me.