Beecher's Hope

Good news - I now own a ranch. Bad news, I now have Uncle with me. Or it the reverse? If he don't shut his mouth, I'll paint this place with his blood. I bought a dumpy bit of land for Abigail, and she ain't here.
Instead I got Uncle.

How the hell did this happen?

I got the worse of all things. I miss Abigail. I been a proper fool for longer than I can remember. FOR ALWAYS.

Went to Saint Denis with Uncle because Charles Smith was there and in trouble. Charles had taken to boxing and did not seem in too much trouble after all, until we stumbled into some local gangsters who wanted to shoot both of us, but now he's here and I've got myself a completely different family to the one I had while ago.

Not sure what to make of that.

This countryside is full of some of the worst scum and maniacs I've ever come across. Guess we fit right in. Went to buy lumber to build a new house. Got jumped by some local gang everyone is terrified by. A hand Charles had hired got himself killed. Wonder if these bastards will bring trouble and how much.

Built ourselves a place to live. Never thought I would say those words. Now I just need a family and a way of paying off these debts. Went off bounty hunting with Sadie, who I'd met again after all these years, and whole thing turned crazy. Thank god Abigail weren't around or she'd have skinned me herself.

Abigail and Jack came back. Whole of my life suddenly makes some kind of sense. If only I could pay off these damn debts and if only I could have been a different man all these years I wasted being a fool.

I'M GETTING MARRIED. She thinks I'm a real fool and she's right, only she don't know quite why I am a fool.

We got married and we danced and Uncle made us laugh and Jack seemed real happy. Sadie left, after she fixed herself up. Charles went off hunting something or other, as I knew he would. Uncle ain't going anywhere. Saw Dutch, damn near broke my heart again after all this time. Wanted to kill him but I didn't. Saw Micah and was never gladder to see a man die. Whatever peace and happiness I can find in this world, I know it's a better place with him out of it.