01

chapter one

"hello?" a tall black man stood in the door frame. lucy was shocked. speechless. the man looked at her confused.

"bash who is it?" a voice called out. he came to the door and opened it wider. standing next to the man was a teenage boy with dark curly hair. lucy got nervous. her eyes widened.

"oh my goodness, you must be freezing please come in." the boy let her inside.

lucy walked hesitantly. the man closed the door behind them and pointed to the fireplace.

"go sit over there it'll warm you up." he said. lucy nodded and sat down.

she looked around. the house was nice. much smaller than her slave owners house but it felt warm and cozy. the boy came back and handed her a cup. she looked up at him.

"here's some tea. it'll help you." he said.

"thank you, sir." lucy drank the hot tea and sighed. gilbert raised an eyebrow at "sir" but ignored it for the time being. the man also came back with a blanket and he put it around lucy.

"you must not be from here. i agree, it's very cold. ice just falls from the sky it's an unusual thing." the man said and the boy laughed. lucy only nodded.

"i'm gilbert. gilbert blythe. this is my friend and partner sebastian or just bash." gilbert told the girl.

"i'm lucy abara. nice to meet you." she replied.

"where are you from lucy" bash asked.

"georgia. i was a slave there. my mother helped me find someone to get me to escape. i traveled to canada and caught a train but i wasn't supposed to be there. the driver caught me and i ran until i found this place and now here i am." she sighed. there was a brief silence, not long enough to be uncomfortable but not short enough to go unnoticed.

"wow you've come a long way." gilbert replied. "do you have anyplace to stay?" he asked. lucy shook her head.

"no, sir. i don't know what i'm going to do." she looked down at her cup of tea. gilbert looked at bash and he looked back. bash nodded his head.

"if you'd like you can stay with us. it's only me and bash here and we've only just arrived." lucy looked up in disbelief at the two males.

"really? you'll let me stay?" bash nodded.

"of course" he smiled.

"oh thank you so much!" she hugged bash then gilbert but quickly let go of gilbert and stared at him with wide fearful eyes. "i-i'm so sorry, sir." she apologized. gilbert hugged her.

"please, just gilbert is fine. no need to be so formal when talking to me, we're practically the same age." he said and smiled, making her smile back.

"come i'll show you where you'll stay." gilbert held the girls hand and took her to the spare room.

"have you got anything with you? extra clothes or something?" gilbert asked lucy as she looked around the room. she shook her head no.

"i didn't own much so i really didn't have anything to bring. i've had the same clothes since i was nine." she said and sat down on the bed. gilbert sighed.

"makes sense. we will find some money and buy you some clothes from town tomorrow then." lucy looked at him in excitement.

"why are you being so nice to me." lucy was genuinely confused about the boys behavior towards her.

"why wouldn't i be?" he replied.

"well, gilbert i'm colored." she thought it was obvious.

"lucy that doesn't matter to me. you're a human no matter what the shade of your skin is. you deserve a safe warm home, new clothes, good food and more." he said and lucy smiled.

"thank you." she sighed.

"now get some sleep you must be tired." gilbert insisted.

"alright." she nodded and gilbert closed the door behind him as he left.

a/n:
btw this is episode five and the next chapter will be six