Chapter 4

A week had gone by since Zabrina had given Varian her first kiss. She became a bit more distant since then, talking to Varian only when necessary. And Varian dare not tell his father about it. Edmund only allowed Zabrina to stay at the castle because she made his son happy. He knew his father was leery of her. Varian would lay in his bed at night thinking of that moment. His fingers would lightly pass over his lips, remembering her soft lips touching his. He closed his eyes and could smell her soap and shampoo. He grabbed his pillow and held it like he was holding her in his arms. Every thought he had, she consumed them. He couldn't stop thinking about her. She had made him happier since her arrival. He was more outgoing and more willing to bear his princely duties than before.

Varian decided that he would confront her about it. He couldn't concentrate on anything longer than a few minutes without Zabrina plaguing his thoughts. She was barely seeing him and there she was, in his mind. One day after breakfast, Varian tracked Zabrina in the library, sitting at a desk reading. He made a beeline to her, sitting in the empty seat in front of her. She looked up to see Varian staring at her, she jumped. His eyes were so determined, she felt like they were gazing into her soul and she couldn't help but stare back at them. She tried to move back, hoping to get up and leave, but Varian grabbed her wrist.

"No," he panicked. His grip was tight, Zabrina couldn't move and not because he was squeezing too tight. She got lost in his eyes, digging into hers. "Stay."

His plea became a whisper. She loosened herself up which lead Varian to let go of her wrist, trusting that she wouldn't dart off. Zabrina bit her lip in fear, wondering what Varian was going to say to her. Wondering if he approved of her kissing him or not.

"Zabrina," his voice was low. "Take us to my lab."

"What?" Zabrina was confused.

"Take us to my lab. We can talk more privately there."

Zabrina took a second to process the demand, but she nodded her head in compliance. She twisted and raised both her hand up as a puff of blue smoke consumed her and the prince. Once the smoke cleared, they were both standing in Varian's lab. She looked up and saw that his eyes were still staring into her. She was afraid but enticed at the same time. She pondered what he was thinking.

"V-v-varian," she stuttered out. "I... what I did was unexpected and... if I offended you, I apologize. I shouldn't have crossed that boundary, I won't do it again. Please forgive—"

Zabrina was cut off by Varian's lips pressing into hers. Eyes wide open, she embraced his kiss deeply. After a moment, they broke it off. Zabrina was star-struck, panting heavily. Varian then leaned into Zabrina's ear and whispered.

"I love you too."

Zabrina gasped at his statement. He loved her? A peasant girl loved by the prince!? Just processing what he had just said, she felt his lips again on her. But they were on her neck this time. She whimpered pleasantly as she felt him sucking softly on her delicate skin. Her knees started to buckle, Varian started pushing her backwards towards his work desk. His hands roamed around her until they found their way under her thighs. He lifted her up and onto his desk where he continued to kiss and suck her neck. Zabrina started to moan softly, because she didn't want to gain unwanted attention. Varian's lips found their was back to Zabrina's lips where they kissed more and more. Finally, Varian broke off the kissing, blue eyes staring into each other.

"You're so cute," he told her. She blushed.

"WHERE'S THE KING!? WHERE'S THE KING!?" A servant girl was heard throughout the hallway screaming. The two lovers turned their heads sharply at the door where the sound was coming from.

"Stop shouting, Mary," another girl told the screaming Mary. "What's happened?"

"Strange black rocks are appearing across the castle grounds! We must inform the King!"

The two ladies ran off. Varian and Zabrina looked back at each other. Without saying a word, Varian helped Zabrina get off the table and they both headed out to where the commotion was. They got outside where a group of castle staff were standing in front of black, pointy rocks. Varian noted to himself that they looked like the exact same ones Zabrina was surrounded by when he had found her. King Edmund emerged from the crowd to address everyone.

"Everyone, everyone, calm down!" He shouted over the noisy crowd. "Do not panic. I understand that these black rocks appeared and have been emerging across the castle grounds. We will resolve this issue and remove the rocks. Word of these rocks mustn't reach the citizens of Tycho, the kingdom doesn't need a calamity on its hands. Now please go back to your tasks."

The crowd broke up leaving the king, Varian and Zabrina there. Edmund approached Zabrina, staring at her in a suspicious way.

"Did you cause these rocks, girl?" Edmund interrogated.

"N-no, Your Magesty," she replied. "I know not the business of these rocks."

"You're lying."

"Dad!" Varian stepped between the two, confronting his father. "Zabrina said she has nothing to do with these rocks! Stop treating her like a criminal! She's a good person! She wouldn't hurt this kingdom in any way."

Edmund looked down upon his son and inhaled sharply. He stormed off. Varian turned to Zabrina.

"Are you okay?" He asked her.

"I'm not sure. Your father scares me."

"He scares a lot of people."

"You didn't have to defend me. I could have handled it."

"I know. But I care too much about you to see you being hurt like that. And I didn't appreciate it when he called you a liar."

Zabrina smiled and hugged Varian. In the distance, Edmund was watching both of them. He dismissed himself to her bed chamber, feeling disgusted about his son keeping company with Zabrina.

You could be mean

You could be angry

You know you could be just like me

Don't be a fake

Don't be so stupid

You know you could be just like me

You think she will stand beside you

She is only in your way

You're wrong if you think that I'll be proud of you

You think she is there to help you

She is only in your way

You're wrong if you think that I'll be proud of you

You think she'll be there beside you

She is only in your way

You're wrong if you think that I'll approve of her

I am so cold

I am so ruthless

You know you could be just like me

You are so weak

You are so senseless

You know you could be just like me

You think she will stand beside you

She is only in my way

You're wrong if you think that I'll be proud of you

You think she is there to help you

She is only in your way

You're wrong if you think that I'll be proud of you

You think she'll be there beside you

She is only in your way

You're wrong if you think that I'll approve of her

On my own, cause I can't take living with you

I'm alone, so I won't turn out like you

Want me to

You think she will stand beside you

She is only in my way

You're wrong if you think that I'll be proud of you

You think she is there to help you

She is only in your way

You're wrong if you think that I'll be proud of you

You think she'll be there beside you

She is only in your way

You're wrong if you think that I'll approve of her

You could be mean

You could be angry

You know you could be just like me

~TN~TN~TN~

Nothing stirred in the garden where the black rocks arose. All was quiet, not a soul was there. But a black, heavy, cloudy liquid burst out of the rocks as it made its way onto the castle grounds. It lightly growled feeling the warm sun on itself. It slithered its way to the castle where it found a dark place to stay safe: Varian's laboratory.

(Song: Just Like You by Three Day's Grace)

(Comment!)