Chapter 9

Zabrina stood in fear seeing her husband being consumed by this Darkness. Her precious, innocent alchemist prince had turned into an evil monster because of hatred. She gasped when she saw Varian turn towards her, giving her a villainous smile.

"How do you like your prince now?" He asked her. His voice was distorted, almost a few pitches higher.

Zabrina snapped out of her fear trance and managed to focus on teleporting herself out of that room and to another part of the castle. She needed help and she knew who to turn to. She picked up her dress and ran down the castle hallways, calling out for Adira and Quirin. The young girl was frantic, panicking that she couldn't find help. Her calls for help turned to cries as tears started to fill her eyes. When her hope seemed lost, Adira and Quirin appeared out of a room. They had heard Zabrina's cries and was wondering why she was screaming so loudly. Zabrina, now thrilled she found them, threw herself on the both of them. She sobbed in their bodies, her body shook and trembled.

"Zabrina," Quirin addressed her. "What's happened? What's wrong?"

"It... it's V-V-Varian," she managed to say through tears. "It's ha-happened... the... the prophecy, it... it's come true."

Quirin's and Adira's eyes widen in terror. Zabrina continued.

"He and Edmund got in a fight cause he found out about us. When Varian said we were married and became one, Edmund said he would kill me and... and the Darkness just circled Varian and he attacked his father."

"We have to stop him," Adira demanded. "He'll destroy the entire kingdom!"

"Where's the King?" Quirin asked Zabrina.

"He's in Varian's lab," she answered. "But I don't know if Varian's still in there."

"We have to go see. We'll grab His Majesty and—"

Quirin was interrupted by the black rocks sprouting out near them. Zabrina shrieked at their sudden arrival.

"RUN!" Adira yelled at the group.

The three ran down the hallway as fast as they could. The rocks eventually stopped following them as they somehow made their way back to the lab. They found King Edmund on the floor passed out. Adira and Quirin went to him to check on him; he was alright, alive but out cold. Zabrina stood there not knowing what to do. She didn't like it when someone got hurt, but her sympathy wasn't as high for the King because of what he had said about her earlier.

"We must evacuate the castle and the village," Adira told Quirin. "Get everyone to safety."

"We must save the King!" He protested. "He takes priority!"

"Why should we save him!? He started this chaos!"

"Adira!" Quirin was shocked to hear her say that. "The King may not be perfect, but his is still our King!"

"She is an innocent girl! She never asked for those powers! Zabrina is— Z-Zabrina?"

Adira looked over to Zabrina but she wasn't there...

While Quirin and Adira were tending the King, Zabrina stood there. Unsure what to do, she suddenly heard a voice. It was singing softly in her mind, but it sounded like it was far off somewhere. Memorized by the voice, she started walking. She wasn't sure where she was headed but her mind broke from reality, so she didn't care. As she continued to follow the voice, it got louder so she knew she was headed in the right direction. Unaware of herself or anything around her, she was passing several black rocks that had grown from the ground, breaking the walls of the castle.

She started to change too. Both her eyes became encased with a warm red glow. Her hair had changed colour from its cerulean blue hue to a blood red. She had become trapped in a trance, hypnotized by the voice. Despite her state of vulnerability, she understood why she had become enticed by the voice. As it got louder and clearer, she realized it belonged to Varian! Her trance strengthened as she urged herself to keep following the sweet sound of her husband's voice. She could also understand the lyrics he was singing to lure her to him.

Wither and decay

End this destiny 

Break these earthly chainS

And set the spirit free