Chapter 5

"I don't want you to go."

Zabrina was in Varian in his room, she was sitting on his bed. He was packing some papers and pens in a satchel.

"I know. Me neither," he replied as he stuffed some pens in his bag. "But this trip was planned long before you came around, and I can't miss it. Besides, I gotta get back in my dad's good books, ever since that last fight."

"Wasn't really a 'fight'. You did most of the shouting. But I was kinda surprised after it was all over. By the way you talk about him, I thought he'd defy you more," Varian shrugged his shoulders. "So you're touring the Seven Kingdoms?"

"Yeah, for two months," Varian groaned as he closed up his bag. "How will I survive?"

"You'll be fine. Quirin will be with you, so it might not be that bad. He gets you," she tried reassuring Varian, but he still had a long look on his face. She got off the bed and wrapped her arms around his waist. "Don't be sad. Look, I know this is obligation, but I want you to enjoy your trip. Understand?"

Varian nodded his head and gave a crooked smile. He hugged his friend closely so he'd have her touch a little longer during the road. The two of them left his room and headed to the castle front gate where the carriage was waiting. Edmund was already in the carriage, Quirin and Adira were standing beside the vehicle. Varian headed to the carriage and got in, Quirin followed Varian in. The coachman bucked the horses and the beasts trotted off. Zabrina saw Varian's head looking out the back window, waving good-bye at her and Adira. The two ladies waved back until the carriage was no longer in view. Zabrina sighed sadly and hung her shoulders.

"Don't worry, kid," Adira said placing her hand on Zabrina's shoulder. "He'll be back soon."

"Yeah," Zabrina sulked and started to walk away. "I'm gonna practice my powers."

Adria watched a disappointed Zabrina walk off to be alone. She knew Zabrina was being strong and positive for Varian, but deep down she was downhearted about him leaving. She decided to lift her spirits in the most unusual way. She followed Zabrina and eventually found her in an open part of the grounds making energy balls, but not very good ones.

"Soooo... those balls made based on your mood?" Adira asked swinging her head around to face Zabrina. "Cause if they are, those balls suck."

"I'm not in the mood, Adira."

"Well, I'm not gonna see you pout for the next two months until your boyfriend comes back," Zabrina shot her head up at Adira's statement. "Well, whatever's going on with you two is your business. But as of now, we're going to have some girl-empowerment time."

Adira drew her sword out and en garde'd Zabrina.

"C'mon, I won't wait all day. I'll come at ya!" Zabrina did nothing. "Show me what you're made of! Yah! Yah! Yah!"

Adira jabbed her sword lightly beside Zabrina's head several times. She seemed to be enjoying her toying, but she was trying to get Zabrina to react and respond. Adira was stopped from her jabbing by Zabrina grabbing her sword which was pointed straight at her head. Zabrina's hand wasn't bleeding from the sword, but instead it was glowing with her powers. Her hair was also reacting by glowing and flowing. Zabrina swung the sword around, getting it out of her face. She now stood in a fighting stance, Adira smirked and readied herself again.

"Now I want a nice, clean fight," Adira told her. "Can't ruin all my weapons in one afternoon."

Zabrina squinted and opened both her hands up to produce two simultaneous energy balls, both much more potent than the one she had made before. Adira charged at the girl and swung her sword at her, Zabrina used her energy as a defence system to deflect the swinging sword. Both ladies stepped back and forth as they came at each other with all they had. Each one was a formidable force to be reckoned with, Adira with her exceptionable swordsmanship and Zabrina with her unexplained powers. After a few minutes, both women stopped sparring and panted heavily.

"I knew you had it in you," Adira smiled in satisfaction. "Feeling better? I couldn't stand you sulking."

"I wasn't sulking," Zabrina protested but Adira gave a questioning face. "Okay, maybe I was a little. It's just I've never had a friend before and to have them leave for a long while... but yes, I am feeling better, thank you."

"Good, cause I want to show you something and I want you on your game."

"Oh, great. Is it dangerous?" She groaned.

"Not that dangerous, at least not yet. Follow me."

Zabrina followed Adira off the grounds and back into the castle where she took the young lady through several hallways. They eventually came to a hallway full of portraits of former rulers and their family members. They went to the end of the hallway where a portrait of the current King Edmund hung. His appearance in the artwork was scary: a stern look that frightened anyone he wanted to be frightened. Zabrina shuttered at the portrait, remembering his accusations concerning her and the black rocks. Adira grabbed a rope near the portrait and pulled it. The wall started to open up, eventually showing a secret passageway where a staircase was headed downwards. Zabrina's eyes widened at the hidden hideaway, Adira grabbed her hand and pulled her down the stairs. They made their way to a small, empty room where the walls were covered with images.

"What is this place?" Zabrina asked.

"It's the Prophecy Room," Adira responded. "King Edmund forbids anyone from seeing it, even Prince Varian doesn't know of this room. If the king ever found out that I took you down here, he'd have both our heads, literally."

"So if we could die seeing this room, why did you take me down here?"

"Because I think His Majesty believes you are to bring the destruction to his kingdom."

Zabrina gasped at the thought of her destroying the land she loved. She looked up at the images, but she couldn't make anything out clearly. Her scanning landed her eyes to a familiar symbol: a circle with three lines sticking out of it.

"Is that Tycho's emblem?" Zabrina inquired.

"It is," Adira agreed. "Ever since this prophecy was discovered, this symbol had become the kingdom's emblem. The prophecy speaks of two celestial powers: one with sun powers, the other with moon powers. The sun's power was sent to earth through a single drop, like rain falling from the clouds. The moon's power was said to be sent through a comet. There have been rumours of the sundrop falling to earth already, but nothing solid. And the moon comet hasn't been seen... until now."

"Wait, you think I have the moon powers?"

"It explains your new powers and hair change. But what worries His Majesty is what comes from the a dark place like the moon," Adira pointed to the wall where it showed a darkness engulfing a young man wearing a crown. The image beside it showed that same man with glowing hair, surrounded by black rocks. "King Edmund believes you will corrupt Prince Varian to darkness."

"No," Zabrina whispered and backed up in shock. She ran into the parallel wall, shaking in fear. "I would never! Varian is my best friend! Is that why he hates me?"

"I'm afraid so."

"Why would he think Varian is the one to be corrupted?"

"The prophecy says that a royal family member with different coloured eyes is the one to be corrupted. The entire royal family has had brown eyes for nearly two hundred years. Varian is the only one with blue eyes. I know he accused you of causing the black rocks and I believe you didn't cause them. I believe this 'Darkness' resides in the black rocks and is attracted to the moon powers because it's a safe place for it to rest."

"Why hasn't he told Varian all this?"

"King Edmund wants to protect his son, but I'm afraid His Majesty might be using this reason to mask his true intentions: to acquire this Darkness. To rule the kingdom and be the most powerful king who ever existed. Maybe he even desires immortality."

"Wait, could I have immortality?"

"I've been doing my own private research and I believe you do. I also discovered that you also may have the ability to pull someone's soul out of their dying body and save them from dying. But the trade off is that you lose a bit of your powers and the saved soul possesses enough of your power to survive. If they didn't have your powers, they would surely die."

Zabrina lowered her head, trying her best to understand all that had been told to her. She had moon powers and she had to be careful around the king.

"So he doesn't want his son corrupted by the Darkness because he wants it all to himself," Zabrina asked and stated. "He wants my powers as well as the Darkness."

Both stood in silence for a long moment. Zabrina's mind wondered around the room and inside her head. She concluded in her mind: the prophecy said the prince of the land would be corrupted by the Darkness; Edmund is trying to protect Varian from the Darkness but wants the Darkness to himself so he can be a more powerful ruler; Edmund believes Zabrina will corrupt his kingdom and son causing a riot among the villagers.

"Let's go," Zabrina broke the silence, the ladies left the hidden basement. "Edmund must never know I know this. I have to tell Varian though."

"Are you sure?" Zabrina asked concerned. "How do you think he's going to handle that news?"

"I'm not sure, but I plan to tell him when he gets back home. Then when he gets settled back into his home life, I'll tell him. I believe he should know the truth and understand why his dad hates me so much."

They made it out of the secret staircase, Adira closed the secret door shut.

"Well, whatever option you choose," Adira said turning to the young girl, "I support you. Oh yeah, here you go."

Adira pulled out an envelope from her jacket's inside pocket and handed it to Zabrina. Zabrina took the envelope and read the only word on it: her name.

"What's this?" She asked confused.

"It's a letter from Prince Varian. He told me to give it to you when he left."

"And you couldn't have given me this when I was sulking earlier?"

"Meh," Adira shrugged her shoulders. "What can I tell ya? I kinda do things unconventionally."

"I noticed," Zabrina started to walk away, then turned her head quickly and said before walking back off, "thank you, Adira. You're a good friend."

Adira smiled.