Chapter Ten

"Look alive, ladies. We're about to land," Riven said. The girls had been aboard the Red Fountain Specialists' airship for the past six hours, on their way to Albion. Palladium had agreed, after a lot of persuasion from Akira, to stay behind and teach everyone everything they would need to know when the final battle rolled around. The fairies would learn how to best use their magic against the witches and their army, while the Specialists would be taught the easiest and most efficient ways to combat the natural defenses that protect the kingdom from enemies. The witches of Cloud Tower had chosen not to join the fight unless absolutely necessary. They had, however, agreed to sit in on some of Palladium's classes. Akira smiled when she remembered how he had made each of the Winx swear to bring her back safe. As irritating as his protectiveness could be sometimes, she couldn't bring herself to be mad at him for it. After all, he wouldn't be so protective if he didn't love her. She was brought out of her thoughts by the sudden jolt of the airship hitting the ground. Walking down the ramp, she was met with the sight of a beautiful valley. Far off in the east, Akira could just make out their first destination, the Floating Islands of Dralia. The levitating mountains were, according to Techna's calculations, the most likely lair of Zephyrus, one of the eight Guardian Dragons of Albion. Taking a deep breath, she turned to the fairies that had gathered behind her. "The Floating Islands are about half a day's walk from here. We'll make camp when we arrive, then work our way up to the highest one tomorrow. If my hunch is correct, that's where we'll find Air Guardian Zephyrus. Sound good to everyone?" When everyone nodded, she turned and led the way towards the trees as the Red Fountain ship took off, the Specialists inside. They had only been walking a short while when Flora came up beside Akira. The nature fairy kept glancing around nervously, like she was expecting something to jump out at them at any moment. "Something wrong, Flora?" the elf asked. Flora hesitated before deciding to be honest. "Maybe. It could just be my imagination, but I just can't help but feel like we're being watched. I don't want to worry the others in case I'm wrong, but I thought that as an elf, you might be able to tell me if I'm getting worked up over nothing. After all, since Albion is where the Elves are originally from, you'd know more about what lives here than anyone else, right?" the shy girl whispered. Akira thought for a moment. "Honestly, I don't know much about this place. No one's been here since the Elves left, and there's no one alive who even remembers this place, let alone its inhabitants. Still, it never hurts to be careful," she replied. Turning to the group, the white-haired princess called, "Look sharp, everyone, and be on your guard. We don't know what might be out here, so make sure to stick together and watch each other's backs." Just as she finished voicing her warning, a deep growl pierced the air. Spinning around, Akira came face to face with a mouthful of sharp fangs.