Chapter 46- Cafeteria Pie

                                                   Date: Wednesday, November 2, 1966

                                                                    Time: 11:41AM

                                                                     KAYLA'S POV

My eyes traveled across the lunchroom as I bit into my apple. I searched around, hoping that someone would sit next to me. Michael was sitting next to Alicia. The only other girl who talked to me was out sick for the day. As for the last kid... he's with his other friend.

I folded my legs, trying to make myself seem sophisticated. However, I quickly unfolded them. If anyone caught sight of me like this, they would most likely deem me as snooty or something of that nature. After all, I'm the different kid. I'm not a nerd, to be honest. I'm more of a... maybe a dork. 

Yeah, a dork. I had that weak sense of humor, just like a dork. I could still make friends, but it was difficult. My awful social skills didn't help, either. I had to face it: I was not a popular kid by any means. 

Well, it wasn't that I wanted to be popular, per se... I just wanted to get along with everyone as easily as the others kid. Why did I have to be so awkward when I engaged in conversation? Honestly, there were only about five people in the school that I could really talk to. Three were Jermaine, Marlon, and Michael. One was Alicia, and the other was Mrs. Parker.

Speaking of which, I learned quite a few things about Mrs. Parker this year. For one thing, she was very anal about the way we greeted her. When we were outside of the classroom, we always had to say 'Mrs. Parker: Room 111'. Otherwise, we would get in trouble. And inside of class, we had to call her either 'Mrs.' or 'Natalie'. She would get mad if we said anything else.

Mrs. Parker also loved pears. The stereotypical teacher would relish in receiving an apple, but the case was much different for Mrs. Parker. If you handed her a pear before class, she would munch on it while teaching the lesson. 

I made a mental note to buy canned pears over the year, just for her. 

Suddenly, I felt someone bump into my side. I toppled over onto the ground from the impact, landing with a thud!

When I looked up to see who shoved me, I saw Michael. "Oh!" he exclaimed. He held a hand out. "Sorry, Kayla. I didn't mean for that to happen. It's just that- well, um- I mean... Oh, look at that!" Michael's finger pointed above Jeremy's head.

My eyes followed Michael's finger and skimmed the walls until they reached the ceiling. I proceeded from there, trying to find what Michael had been all googly-eyed about. I almost asked him for what he was looking at when I noticed it.

There was some triangular thing attached to the ceiling. And it was green. After a couple moments of stufying the grotesque object, I noticed that it was a slice of key lime pie... stuck to the ceiling.

Gross.

My nose wrinkled in disgust. "Ewwww," I whined, "that's gross! How long has it been there?"

Michael merely shrugged. "I dunno. I don't spend most of lunch staring at the ceiling."

I turned over to him. "Okay, smart-alec," I retorted, putting my hands on my hips. "You know what I had meant."

Michael giggled playfully. "I sure did."

I shook my head, trying not to grin. "Tsk, tsk..."

"So... um," Michael fumbled, "wanna talk about pie?"

Well... in the end, at least I got to talk to someone for the lunch period, no matter how disgusting it was. Just count my blessings...