1

Y/n sat at her dining room table, chewing her food in the familiar awkward silence that surrounded her family. Swallowing the food in her mouth, y/n brushed her hair from her face.

"So...mom-"

"Mother." Corrected her mother, placing down her fork. Y/n nodded.

"Sorry, mother. How was work?" The woman sighed, closing her eyes before opening them again.

"Just fine y/n." Y/n nodded, staring down. Her father glanced at the two females, clearing his throat.

"Y/n, why don't you check the mail." Y/n nodded, thanking god for the excuse to leave the awkward atmosphere.

She rushed out of the room and through the unfamiliar, house, her bare feet rushing across the carpeted floor. She had grown up in an orphanage, and being adopted at the age of eleven was very strange, especially being adopted by two very successful lawyers.

Reaching the door, she picked up the small pile of letters, shifting through them as she began to walk back towards the dinning room. Not looking where she was going, y/n smacked her toe against the edge of the couch, causing her to drop the letters and bite her tongue to hold back the many curses threatening to leave her lips.

After a minute or so of soothing her foot, she began to pick up the letters once again, suddenly seeing one that looked very different from the others. Picking it up, she stared at a very weathered looking paper and a wax seal holding it together.

Flipping it over, y/n read who it was addressed to.

Y/n y/l/n,

The room at the end of the hall.

y/n blinked, about to open the letter when she heard her fathers voice.

"Y/n! What's taking so long?!" She quickly shoved the letter into her pocket, rushing into the dinning room.

"Sorry. I stubbed my toe and dropped the mail." She said sheepishly, rushing over and handing him the letters. He hummed, beginning to shift through them.

"dear, the Dursley's have invited us over for dinner. Isn't that nice?" Y/n's Mother nodded, folding her napkin.

"Yes. A very stand up family. Except for that strange boy that lives with them. He has some boring name... Harold? Harrison?"

"Harry." Corrected Y/n's father, scanning a letter he was reading.

"Yes! That was it. Harry Potter." Y/n sat in silence, only half listening to the conversation, her hand itching to open her letter. She began to pull it from her pocket when she suddenly heard someone speak her name.

"Y/n. What are you doing with that?" Asked her mother, staring at the letter sticking from her pants.

"Oh, this one is for me." Y/n explained, pulling it from her pocket. Her father scoffed, reaching over and snatching or form her hands.

"No way someone was writing to you. Let me see that." He ripped it open, pulling out the letter inside. He scanned it, his brows slowly furrowing as he reached the bottom. Clearing his throat he handed the letter to his wife.

She read it as well, her mouth slowly beginning tighter and tighter until it was a white line. Crumpling the letter she looked at y/n.

"Go to bed." Y/n, blinked, opening her mouth to defy her. "Now." Y/n stood, leaving the room.

Instead of going to her room, y/n pressed her back against the wall to the dinning room, listening to the conversation inside.

"I thought you said they wouldn't know about her!!" Exclaimed her mother, the sound of her chair scraping across the ground as she stood.