Prologue

Cool wind swept across the barren desert, sending sand swirling through the night sky. Creatures of the night scurried across wind-swept surfaces in search of their next meal, dust billowing up in their wakes.

Far below the endless dunes, a creature more ancient than the world itself began to stir.

Laying in the depths of the Underworld, the gargantuan creature twitched, then lay still. Again, its armored body shuddered. Then its eyes, like a flame, flickered open. 

Its eyes were fire, red but deadly. Yet rather than heat, cold seemed to eminate from the behemoth's penetrating stare. Though its eyes were ablaze with the intensity of a wildfire, the darkness seemed deeper wherever the monstrosity directed its steely gaze. 

The Great Beast lifted its massive head, fighting against the chains that bound it. It struggled to its feet, the sound of claws scraping on stone echoing throughout the cavern.

A low rumble started in the creature's throat, and shadows began to obscure the chains completely. It stretched, its body easily large enough to fill a valley. With a final effort, the chains securing the beast shattered. Shards of metal skittered across the floor as the Great Beast took its first steps in centuries.

Growling in delight, the monster reached up on its four hind legs and rammed the roof of the cave with its spiney head. Stalactites rained down from the ceiling, but the Great Beast paid no attention. It rammed the roof again, cracks spreading across the stone. 

The ceiling couldn't withstand another blow. As the monstrosity slammed into it for the third time, it crumbled.

The creature tore at the hole until it was large enough for its colossal body to fit through. It began burrowing toward the surface, taking the darkness with it.

Back on the surface, a shadow fell over the desert. The ground rumbled and creatures scattered. The ground caved in and sand swirled down like water sucked into a whirlpool.

Suddenly, a gargantuan head burst out of the earth, sending a flurry of sand a mile into the air. Free at last, the Great Beast roared.