Shortcuts, Hunter Style

The Guardian slowed as they went down the stairs, shocked at while a large space, felt cramped with boxes stacked in each corner with symbols and names they didn't recognize. They seemed out of place, left behind because it didn't fit where it should actually be placed. It reminded them of the Wall. Forgotten, lost, unaccounted for and abandoned.

"A FRESH FACE!" A booming baritone voice thundered, it made the Guardian jump and put their hands up into fists to defend themselves as a muscular and tall man in armor approached them. His voice wasn't muffed by his orange, white and black helmet which had a single horn on one side. A closer inspection when he stopped short, however, showed evidence of a second horn lost close to the base of the helmet. "NOTHING LIKE A NEW GUARDIAN FOR THE CRUCIBLE!" He thundered.

"Thank you Shaxx," Ghost flew between his Guardian and the loud man. "But I'm afraid we're still...VERY new."

"Never too green for the crucible!" Shaxx protested and put his fists on his hips, standing tall and firm. The coarse brown fur on his shoulder pads almost seemed to bristle. "It builds character! Toughens you like no other game will!"

Ghost flew a little closer and whispered, loudly, "They don't even have a name yet."

"Oh..." Shaxx's voice softened, "I see. That new, eh?" The helmet, although there seemed to be no cutouts to see through, focused its attention on the Guardian. "Well, the Crucible will be waiting." He held out one of his massive hands to shake. When the Guardian glanced to Ghost nervously, the little drone dipped like a nod. The Guardian clasped Shaxx's hand firmly, trying not to be too surprised (or hurt) when he squeezed their hand with immense strength. "I'll be looking forward to your spectacular streaks!" He thundered again, "I can see a fire in your eyes, Guardian. You'll be amazing."

He released their hand and nodded to Ghost before he took his place by a counter where a Frame with similar curving horns was standing behind it, watching a screen where there were colors and explosions showing. Ghost flew further down the room, to an opening that lead into another room. A long table was visible, almost the length of the room with three people standing around it. A woman with a shaved head and dark umber skin was surrounded by two stacks of books and several rolled scrolls. Her dark magenta colored robes caught the light of a few desk lamps set up near her to shine on an open book. When she took note of the Guardian, she placed her hands behind her back and stood straight, her dark eyes piercing them, a sense of authority evident.

"Well," Her voice was soft but firm, "Hello there. Do you need something Guardian?"

"I finally found them Ikora," Ghost couldn't hide his giddy tone, twitching excitedly as he looked at his Guardian. "They were in the Cosmodrome!"

"A new Guardian." Her smile was small, barely visible in her calm face. "Then that means you have no end of questions, I'm sure." She closed her eyes as the Guardian nodded, she motioned slowly with one hand to come closer. "What is your most burning question? I find once our most pressing questions are answered, we only have more to ask."

The guardian opened their mouth and then shook their head, touching their throat with their index finger. The woman's brows knit together in confusion, her head slowly tilting.

"I think there is something broken, something more technical. Or maybe something is missing altogether, I..." Ghost looked between the woman and his Guardian. "I'm just a Ghost, I can't make repairs or bring something out of thin air."

"I see," The woman nodded slowly and brought her hands around to her front, one wrapped around her waist, the other tapping her chin in thought. "Cayde might have some connections, but for now." Again, with the hint of a smile, a peek behind the cool demeanor. "My name is Ikora Rey. She...her. Human. Warlock mentor. Vanguard." She glanced toward her own Ghost, who watched on silently. "My Ghost: Ophiuchus." She closed the book she had been reading and reached for a tablet device. A few taps and the screen brightened, programs appearing and opening under Ikora's gentle and precise touch. Then she held it out to the Guardian.