Prologue

So guys, I'm back. Kind of. I did a lot of thinking these few months and I realized I enjoy writing here even if my work is stolen. Please don't try to say that people steal my work because they admire it. That's bull and any other writer on here knows that. This is going to be a mature book just like my others and I don't want any immature, ignorant comments on it. If you don't have something constructive to say, don't say anything at all.

I jogged down the street with Zeus, my Rottweiler, at my side. His tongue flopped out of his large snout, leaving drool droplets along the sidewalk. I loved that he was such a goof, but fiercely protective of me. Living on my own had caused my parents some concern, but when I rescued Zeus, they knew I would be fine.

We passed the rows of mansions and dimly lit, manicured lawns. It was my favorite neighborhood to run through. I loved the big trees and the unbelievable architecture of the homes. They were magnificent, but I knew I would never be able to afford one unless I married rich. I was perfectly fine with my two bedroom apartment just outside that neighborhood. I was content. Sure, it would be great to have a nice, big, backyard for Zeus to run in but he was happy with our daily jogs and trips to the park. I let him sleep on my bed and he lounged on the couch. What more could a dog want in life?

I noticed an expensive looking luxury car stopped a few houses in front of me. A round, older man stood on the sidewalk, looking around confused. Chances were, he was lost. It was easy to get lost in these winding streets.

"Excuse me," he called. I normally wouldn't have stopped, but I felt bad for the guy.

Zeus stood in front of me, a low growl rippled through his chest. I tugged on his leash to quiet him, but he didn't take his eyes off the strange man once. The hair on his back stood up and he salivated more than usual.

"I think I'm lost. Could you tell me where this is?" the man asked. He held a phone out to me, but Zeus snarled when I took a step forward to grab it.

"Zeus," I scolded.

I took the phone from the man and looked down at a blank screen.

"Hey, I think-"