16

Someone made me this great cover, but sent it to me on Twitter. If anyone knows who she is, tag her here so I can give her credit.

Ps- finals are killing me, but I wanted to get something up here.

I woke the next afternoon, thirsty and wanting Liam worse than ever before. I knew I went too long without blood. I always did, but today it affected more.

"Liam," I said quietly. I wanted him to wake up, but I didn't really want to be the cause of him waking up.

When he didn't respond, I sighed. I was irritated and restless.

I crept out of bed and out of his room. I closed the door as quietly as possible, only to be greeted by Mariah.

"Hey," she said with a warm smile.

"Hey. What's up?"

She shrugged. "Nothing. Just getting up. How was your night?"

I couldn't have possibly missed the suggestion in her voice.

"Fine. It's kinda weird."

She linked her arm with mine and led me downstairs.

"How?"

"I'm just not used to this. I'm used to being more . . . Professional, I guess."

"Oh, please. You and Liam have never been professional. So how was it?"

"How was what?" I asked.

She laughed. "Don't play dumb, Anna. Come on! Tell me all about it."

"Nothing happened. I swear."

"Right."

"I'm serious. Just because I'm public with him doesn't mean I'm giving up my morals. I'm not going to sleep with him before marriage."

"Does he know that?"

"He should."

"Better make sure."

"Why?"

"Sex is pretty important to vampires," she said.

"What do you mean?"

"Helps us feed less. I bet you're pretty thirsty, huh?"

I nodded a little. I wouldn't have trusted anyone except Mariah with that information. She understood what I was going through and she didn't judge me for it.

"Yep. Once you want it, there's no stopping it. Feed a few times a day. It'll help."

"You think so?"

"Oh yeah. It always helps when I'm away from Tara."

"I mean, it's only a month. Right?"

"I guess, but a lot can happen in a month. I seriously doubt Liam is used to restraining himself."

I wasn't going to correct her because it wasn't any of her business. I knew Liam wasn't typical in any sense. He knew that I wouldn't want to have sex before marriage.

My stomach clenched painfully, but I tried to ignore it. It happened a couple times in the last few weeks, but it always went away.

"Are you okay?" Mariah asked.

I nodded. "I'm fine. Why?"

"You look really pale."

"I am really pale."

"No. I mean like you're sick. Are you sure you're okay?"

I nodded as another wave hit me. This time, worse than when I turned. I doubled over in pain and gasped.