Prologue: Welcome to Akademi High! (pt. 1)

My name is Taro Yamada. I'm an ordinary high school student, with ordinary looks, ordinary academic abilities, born in a ordinary family, living in an ordinary town and attending an ordinary high school.

Or for the last part...at least that would be the case if I didn't have one specific inordinary characteristic.

You see, since I was very young, I loved reading. Fiction, non-fiction, mysteries, romances, sci-fi, short stories, novels, I just loved reading each and every kind of book. Even to this day, I can't say I have a favourite genre of literature.

For as long as I can remember, reading would take up most of my time. I adored being immersed in a fantasy world, imagining the appearances, the personalities and the relationships of each and every character, or learning about and being more aware of important issues in our world and learning valuable lessons that school would never teach us. I was willing to give up many things in my everyday life, just to have some time to obsess over a mystery novel and try to solve all the cases. Or there would be times where sadness, anger, embarrassment, fear overcame me and no person in my life would be able to aid me. In those cases, only grabbing a book and escaping this world for a while would help me understand and deal with my emotions and my problems. Eventually, reading became my passion you know!

Since I admired the people who wrote masterpieces, the authors of my favourite books, I decided to give it a shot and try to write something on my own. I wrote my very first story when I was about 12 years old. It was about my and my family's everyday life basically, but with some alterations of course. I thought it was very random and badly-written at the time, but others didn't seem to think of it that way...

When I showed the story to my parents, they absolutely fell in love with it. They even got one of their friends, who was a well-known author, to critique my work. Out of my expectations, he congratulated me and told my parents that I should be some kind of writing prodigy to write such a masterpiece! I recall being very confused, but my parents didn't hesitate to take my permission so we could publish the book. After a while, it became a best-seller and, suddenly, I had a large "fan base" of people who read my story and fell in love with it. All of that while I was still 13.

Because of my young age and my advanced writing skills, people started calling me the "Ultimate Writer". I still to this day don't think that that title suits me, but it still honours me.

Anyways, back to the high school talk. Because of my "Ultimate Talent", I had the luck to be scouted by the most prestigious school in the entire country - Akademi High!

Akademi High is located in the capital of the country and, even when you see it in photos, it towers every other building around it. Not only by the building itlsef, but its presence alone would shadow any other facility around it. More than that, they say that only people with exceptional abilities are recruited there. It is said that, if you manage to graduate, you basically have assured a successful life. After all, people who have graduated from Akademi High are now renowned figures, the symbols of hope - politicians, scientists, inventors, astronomers, programmers, fashion designers, models, artists, literally from every field.

It is said that, in order for you to attend Akademi High you must fulfil two requirements. One: you must be a high school student. Two: you must be the very best at what you do.

...and I happen to fulfil both of these requirements. That's why I was picked to attend the school of my dreams!

It was a few days ago that I received a letter from Akademi that said they were scouting me as the "Ultimate Writer". Honestly, it was one of the best moments of my life. The same thing applied to my family. We held a party before I left about my acceptance.