VIII

"Jae?" I looked at my phone to check the time. It was almost 12:30.

"Dude, you're like half an hour late. What happened?" I questioned him.

"Just," He panted, out of breath. "Let me sit down and I'll explain."

I walked him over to where Younghyun and I had been sitting. He looked over at Younghyun, who was sitting quietly, also waiting to hear Jae's story.

"Y/N, can I just tell you?" He looked up at me, practicallly pleading. "It's not that I have anything against you," he looked back over at Younghyun. "I just don't know if I'm comfortable telling a lot of people."

Younghyun nodded and stood up. "I'll go get your drink Y/N." He walked away to another table.

"Jae, what's going on?"

"Look," he started off. He spoke timidly and so soft, I could barely hear him. "I know it probably seem that big of a deal, but it is to me."

I leaned in closer to hear him clearly.

"It's just, well, you know how I said in class that I'm minoring in music, right? Well, even if someone is majoring or minoring in music, they have to take a music theory exam by the second week of class. So ever since I found this out, I've been studying non-stop so I can score high in the exam and get placed in a high class. And I mean, I have learned a lot while studying, so..." He looked up from the table and at me.

"So, this translates into what exactly?" I asked him.

"My study sessions run, well, late. That's why I'm constantly drinking coffee and why I'm awake at three in the morning, and I forgot to set my alarm last night so, why I slept in till noon today." He stood up straighter and stretched. "Speaking of which, I think I'm gonna get more coffee to wake myself up." He stood up to go wait in line, and Younghyun came back to our table with my drink.

"So then?" He asked, waiting for an answer.

I sighed. "I'll tell you when we get home." I sipped in my frappe and pulled my notebook out of my backpack.

Jae came back, holding a large cup of coffee in his hand.

"Jae, are we going to start this project? Or would you rather do it some other time?" I asked him.

"Y/N, I hate to sound like a jerk, but can we really do this another time? I'm so sorry for making you come all the way over here-"

I closed my notebook. "It's okay. Don't worry about it. Just call me when you want to reschedule. I'll be available whenever." I turned over to Younghyun, who was sipping his drink nonchalantly. "Come on, let's go home."

We headed to the exit of the cafe. "I'll see you later Jae," I called out.

"Okay, so then?" Younghyun asked me once we got into the car.

"It's not a big deal," I said.

"Oh, but it is a big deal Y/N. You came to work at the time you're not working, onto for him to show up late, and then not even to do the work you guys agreed to do. He totally just wasted your time."

I just looked for while I drove home. "It's more than that Younghyun, he's his own person with a life of his own, and sometimes a class project isn't the most of his worries."

"Yeah, but when there's another person in concern? Then everything that he's done just come through as selfish." Younghyun sat back and crossed his arms. "And that's a real jerk move of him."

I did nothing again but sigh. As much as I would like to defend Jae, Younghyun was right. But unlike Younghyun, I have a little bit more compassion for the guy, so I'm not going to lash out on him for this.

"It's whatever, dude. It's just one project anyways, and we still have time."

The rest of the car ride home was silent.

Once we got home, Younghyun and I went out separate ways to each of our apartments. He still seemed pretty peeved that I wouldn't agree about his thoughts on Jae. But we have working tonight, so it's not like he can stay mad.

I walked over to my bedroom and flipped onto my bed. I had time to spare, so I started scrolling through my socials.

I went on Instagram and tapped on Younghyun's Instagram story. He posted a picture of our drinks at the cafe, blurring my figure in the background.

I know he's only trying to watch out for me, but he doesn't completely understand. He doesn't completely understand Jae's situation, but I mean it's not his fault-

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK

I ran up and out of my room to go answer the door. I tiptoed to check the peephole, only to see Younghyun on the other side.

I opened the door, letting him in.

"I'm bored, can we go do something?" He blurted our before I had a chance to say anything.

"No," I said. "Because doing things costs money and I don't have any to spare."

He sat down on the couch. "Ugh," he let out. "Why do we have to be broke college students?"

"It's just the way life is man," I replied. "But we can always just sit around our apartments and do nothing. That's free."

Younghyun sighed. "I guess." He made himself comfortable on my couch and proceeded to do nothing but lie down.

"I'm still salty about your classmate."
__________________________
A/N: author-nim update her fricking stories challenge
anyways this finally hit 1K, ty all sm :,))
i don't wanna bore y'all w an explanation so I'll just stop here
imy guys
ch. 9 soon!