Chapter One, The Medicine Man

The Medicine Man

One of the towns low life's Enzo's been up to his old tricks, apparently learned when captured by the Injuns as a kid. It's rumoured that he'd taken the name of a native, whose tongue had been removed by the traders. It was the tradition with such adoptions that they had to be a near-perfect match, so they cut out his tongue, making him a near-perfect fit. His reward was to become the son of the Medicine Man, who was both evil and good wrapped up as one, it was this, mostly evil bastard who taught him to heal and the deadly art of the silent kill.

It was the old rough n ready miner, Redrock Bill, who pointed out that this was no job for an ornery man, he said.

"Look, the Doc's no hack, but he's not up for this, removing, bullets, pulling teeth and delivering babies is his forte, this a job for the Injun witchdoctor nicknamed Snakebite".

"Snakebite!

Ain't that the old Medicine Man, I threatened to bury in the sand when he offered to do some magic on my wounded hand, asked the Sherriff.

That could be good for AJ, for it was he who grabbed the gun before I could pull the trigger and release the hammer."

However, afore the Doc had time to stammer, the Sheriff's deputy who'd interpreted his comment as a yes had already mounted his horse and was headed for the 'Injun Reservation'. It was one crazy ride, but this was a matter of life or death, just the sort of thing a deputy was there for and as he approaches the camp, he's already in one stirrup and dismounting the Mare as she skids to a halt at Snakebite's lodge. After only a moment's hesitation, he is surrounded by an angry-looking crowd of braves, quickly followed by all the tribe, but he didn't have time to be scared and shouted at the top of his voice.

"Hey, Medicine Man, please you've gotta help, AJ's been shot by a tiny Injun arrow that had some sort of poison on its head."

There was instant recognition of the name by Snakebite and with a few moans and groans about his pains, he was soon staggering from the lodge, holding on tightly to his medicine bag. He needed help from the deputy to mount his pony, that was grazing by the stream. This was quite clearly no ordinary man, ten young braves escorted them in their frantic race back to town.

The folks gathered in the street gave way to the dust storm raised, as the party reached the porch. Sweeping from his mare the deputy lifted Snakebite from his pony, and all but carried the frail witchdoctor inside. By now the Doc was completely flummoxed and wished he was back pulling teeth, and gladly stepped aside to let the old Injun treat AJ and Ray.

From inside came a lot of smoke and much chanting, and outside, there probably weren't many who thought it would work, least of all the Sheriff who clasped his gun butt tightly throughout the lengthy ritual. Nevertheless, by daybreak, both AJ and Ray were wide awake and drinking water, or something a little stronger.

When the news of their survival was given out, everyone present bore witness to a rare sight, red n white folk celebrating together

When the news of their survival was given out, everyone present bore witness to a rare sight, red n white folk celebrating together. It was only then that the Sherriff a man of strong character had to concede that this Snakebite fellow was indeed a man of miracles, a new friendship was cemented by a strong shake of his hand, while both white and red folk celebrated by dancing in the street