Chapter Eight, Jhonny (Yonny)

Jhonny

Denver stood on the top deck with the Kid, with one hand on his shoulder the other resting on the rail, their father and son like relationship now evident. Although the Liberty Bell was pulling into the dock at BG, his mind was retracing the journey he'd made to New Orleans and back.

He'd decided to make the journey with the kid in tow, partly because he was a valuable resource, but mostly, he feared for his safety, not wanting to return to find he'd become fish food.

In the time they'd been gone the lad had grown considerably, edging near to Denver's shoulder, well his armpit anyway. All the good food and hard work had also helped develop some muscle on his previously sparse frame, it was clear he was going to become a handsome and impressive young man, soon. But the thing that excited Denver the most was his intelligence, he sucked up all the learning that Denver could muster with ease, throughout the journey, he quite clearly needed some formal education, to get the most from his brain.

He recalled how they'd purchased some horses to take a shortcut across the desert in order to cut a whole week from the journey, he drove them hard and the kid had no choice but to learn fast. They moved swiftly and within two days they were well on their way to the last water hole.

As always Denver led from the front, but they'd slowed to barely a canter crossing a rocky stretch, they couldn't afford to lose a horse. They were negotiating a treacherous path, when without warning a Rattle Snake shot from the rocks, hissing and rattling its tail with extreme menace, causing his horse to shy and stumble throwing Denver to the ground, the crack of a rock hitting his head was the last thing he remembered.

The kid was shocked by the sound of bone against the stone and leaping from his horse was relieved to find Denver was still breathing. He tried hard to bring him around, but nothing he did seemed to work, and there was nothing he could do other than getting help, so using every ounce of his strength he managed to slump Denver over the saddle of his horse.

Strapping Denver in place, he returned to the journey and the heading they'd been on and by the time the sun was setting, they had reached the waterhole. Being the only one for fifty miles, he'd hoped other travellers might be there, but unfortunately, they were alone. Gathering what limited kindle was available he built a campfire as the nights were bitter cold and he needed to keep Denver warm. In the clear skies of the desert, the sun sets quickly and overwhelmed with exhaustion a deep sleep soon followed.

He awoke with a start to the call of the woman he'd seen hovering over Denver in the cabin, he should have been scared but was relieved to see her, with a gentle but confident voice, she said.

"OK, Jhonny let's get to work, I don't have any substance here, so you need to do everything I say, no questions asked, you got that?"

"Yes, said Jhonny who was surprised that she knew his name, she even spoke it like he remembered 'Yonny', no one had spoken it aloud in years, he was accustomed to responding to names like 'Bilge Rat', one of his many unpleasant pseudonyms."

He rushed back and forth going wherever she said gathering insects, plants, and roots until she was happy. Following her instruction, he picked certain bits of the plants and insects and ground them up with the roots, using some stones, then put the mix in a billy-can with water, and boiled it on the fire.

But things are never as easy as they seem, when he thought it was done, she told him to capture a Rattle Snake and squeeze its venom into the simmering mix and don't be fearful it will be slowed by the cold

But things are never as easy as they seem, when he thought it was done, she told him to capture a Rattle Snake and squeeze its venom into the simmering mix and don't be fearful it will be slowed by the cold. But be careful you still need to be warry of its bit, you need to grab it behind its head, hold it over the can and squeeze behind its eyes as hard as possible without killing it, it's one of nature's creatures and has a right to live. With the job done, he threw the snake back into the brush and poured the mixture into a canteen then pricked his and Denver's forefingers as instructed and without question added a few drops of their blood to the mixture.

He was told it tasted awful but would have to taste it himself before administering the mixture, so not to burn Denver, and just a tiny sip caused his heart race. She told him if you're worried, I'm a witch, then don't, this is a form of medication, not a magic potion, the chemicals it contains will make his heart race and force him to wake.

Opening his mouth and holding his nose closed he pours the mixture into Denver's mouth, who involuntarily swallowed the mixture like it was a good whiskey. A few long moments pass with no reaction, then without warning, he sits bolt upright, spitting out what remains of the disgusting mixture.

His heart is beating like a drum and has a head that aches like he'd drank a barrel of whiskey. When his eyes cleared, he was amazed to see both the Kid and his Hattian beauty stood side by side in the firelight. His throat was too sore to speak, but she knew from his eyes that he was asking how and why, but she'd didn't explain other than to say.

"I'll be gone now and will leave your 'Son by Blood', Jhonny to explain."

Denver looked at Jhonny as his Haitian beauty faded away and managed to mumble a quizzical question.

"Son by Blood!

What have you two been up to son?"