three.

________

       Nova Anderson stared at the rockets blasting into space, and prayed to God that the Ark would see them in time.

      "If this weren't a tragic situation, I would say that the rockets actually look really pretty in the sky."

      Nova snapped her head to the right, coming to face with a brunette girl she didn't recognize. She opened her mouth to say something, but the girl beat her to it.

      "Sorry that was really random. My name is Katherine Smith."

Nova smiled, a warm tint shining on her cheeks. "I'm Nova Anderson."

Katherine grinned widely, showing off her somehow still really white teeth. You would think after being on the ground for ten days without proper toothpaste, her teeth would be yellow, but no, they were still really white. "I know. You and Raven did a good job with the flares. I really hope they work. I have family up there and I know that they will be the ones who get killed."

Nova frowned as Katherine sighed lightly, the girl felt a pull on her heart. The people on the Ark deserved better than to be sacrificed like that.

Katherine looked up to Nova, her frown etching into a slight smile. She began to speak, before she stopped her words when two delinquents stood behind Nova. They were planning on scaring Nova, their other best friend, but Katherine gave it away by looking at them. Nova turned around, her face lighting up as she saw her two childhood best friends.

"Monty! Jasper!"

The boys laughed as she pulled them into a bone-crushing hug. Her new found acquaintance, Katherine, smiled at Nova before walking away to sit by the bond fire.

The three inseparable friends pulled apart, all having goofy, lopsided grins stuck on their faces.

"I missed you guys so much."

"Earth wasn't complete without you." Monty winked jokingly.

"Yeah, we know how much you've wanted to be on Earth," Jasper added, his face holding sentiment but also humor.

       "Well I'm here now guys!"

       Jasper and Monty smiled at each other, then to Nova. They had just talked about her the day before, sharing how they missed her a lot. And now their best friend was on Earth with them. It was all she ever dreamed of.

        "Hey if you want a tent to sleep in, you can share ours."

        "Thanks, guys." Nova's brown eyes wandered to the camp fire flaring up and saw Katherine staring into the fire with a distant expression.

      "I'm gonna go talk to Katherine! Thanks again for the bed in your tent, I'll see you later tonight." Nova ruffled the two boy's hair, and they playfully glared with smiles on their faces.

Nova walked up to the girl, who was sitting on the edge of a log on the more isolated end of the camp. It was near the fire, but for some reason none of the campers were sitting their besides for Katherine.

Katherine felt a presence next to her, and looked up to see Nova. Katherine forced a smile, and patted the seat next to her for Nova to sit down.

"Are you okay? You look a little down, Katherine." The girl was surprised to hear concern in Nova's voice. They had just met only ten minutes ago, but for some reason Nova felt concern. Maybe it was only Nova being a good person, she doesn't actually care, Katherine thought.