Carnival of Light 3: Earth

Next came the outside rides. Adara felt like a kid again, and couldn't remember having this much fun since she went to Disneyland back home, or Magic Mountain. Somebody had even piped in music that blasted all over the park. In this case it was ICP. The rides seemed to run on pure magic. There were no attendents behind any of them. Jack hopped into the tilt-a-whirl with Adara. She noticed there was no protective bar. "Why isn't there a seat belt?" she asked innocently. Jack flopped a leg across her lap.

"I'll be your seatbelt, sugar." he giggled. They started flipping around and Adara was giggling too. Every time the seat sped up in a sudden spin, she shrieked, which prompted Jack to laugh harder. She noticed in between spins there were several kids watching, and a couple spinning around with them. She waved and they waved back.

Then something happened to make her do a double take. It only lasted a split second, but it reminded her of a scene from Contact where Jodie Foster was flying through the tunnel of light wormhole. The scene where time warped in such a way as to cause a type of recording from her past jump out of herself like a ghost and repeat something she'd said just a few minutes ago, if it could be called that. It was really disturbing and creepy. She saw a transparent copy of Rainbow Jack seem to stretch out of him like air and say in a meek voice, "Help me!" then jump back in. She was getting used to the fact that this place wasn't normal by any means but this took the cake. When it happened, all the kids had disappeared too. When it was over, they came back like it was nothing. The ride finally came to a stop and they stepped off it, Adara stumbling a little. Jack caught her and joked "I don't recall there being any drinks on this ride."

"Haha, so funny I forgot to laugh!" she said, and Jack slapped her ass. She was glad none of the kids had seen that, as they'd run off before they exited the ride. She yelped and slapped him back.

"Plenty of time for that later." Jack winked.

     "Smartass."

"Better than being a dumbass."

Adara rolled her eyes and smirked at him. Oh where had she heard THAT before?

Jack stayed by her side for awhile, then excused himself because he said he "had to take care of some business elsewhere." They kissed, then he snapped his fingers and disappeared in a puff of rainbow smoke and sparkles. He was such a show off! She went through the remaining circuit of rides, including a human miniature golf ball game where YOU were the ball in a rolling capsule. For some reason, Adara didn't feel the vertigo here that she would have otherwise. It was all the fun without all the motion sickness. She wished she'd known about this place when SHE was a kid. What she would have given! Well, better late than never, right? Come to think of it, she'd never had an imaginary friend either.

Her thoughts were interrupted by something on the astroturf. There, in what looked like sidewalk chalk in different colors were the words HELP ME!