Romance - Wandering With You by @Jazzy1983

Today we are excited to be here with Jazzy1983 , whose story Wandering With You won 1st Place in the romance category of our awards! Let's get to those questions!

1. What was your inspiration for your winning story, Wandering with You?

I had a few inspirations: I needed a new hobby because I couldn't do my regular ones; I was completely addicted to humorous Regency romances at the time, but I just wanted to write a novel rather than get bogged down in research; I had heard the phrase 'Write what you know' and so I thought what settings I knew about which made me remember the first time I went backpacking. And voila.

2. What was your favourite part of writing Wandering with You, and what was the most challenging part?

My favourite parts were remembering different beautiful places in Peru and romance. The worst parts were that I needed to learn grammar (I had no idea where to place a comma except in a list when I started writing it), smoothing out the prose and reducing word repetition.

3. What about the Romance genre attracts you to writing in it?

That gushy feeling in your tummy and the butterflies in your chest. It's an even bigger sensation when you write it than when you read it. I also love the escapism.

4. If you had to pick one song that you feel represents or speaks to your story, what would it be?

Probably Let Me Down Easy by Gang of Youths (that was playing a lot on the radio when I started), but also Danza Kuduro.

5. Where do you get the inspiration for your characters?

Thomas was a combination of Regency romance gentlemen, of some of the awkward British men you see on Drama TV shows and a very adorable, but out-of-his-depths man I met when I lived in England.

I've always liked those sassy female characters you get in various genres. But I wanted an Aussie one. I was also aware of the impact of gaslighting on a person's behaviour at the time (namely it can be destabilising) so I fed that in too.

6. What advice would you give to a writer just starting out?

I would say, do your research about how to write. I have wasted so much writing time by not knowing what I am doing.

7. How do you handle receiving negative feedback?

I guess you have to take it with a grain of salt and remember they are critiquing your writing, not you. But it does feel a bit like a punch in the guts at times. The thing is, we all have areas to improve upon and it can be hard to see the flaws in our own writing. The fact that someone is willing to donate their time to share their recommendations for improvement is a gift. And you don't have to take it all on board. If various people are saying the same thing, then this is an area to consider addressing. Having said that, I think it is important to research who you get feedback from. There is a difference between constructive feedback that gives you the why, and hopefully utilises the sandwich/ hamburger approach (what they like, areas for improvement, what they like) and destructive criticism that basically tears you down and interferes with your motivation to write.

8. Where would you go for your dream vacation?

Everywhere! I really love returning to Colombia though.

9. Where do you see your writing journey going in the future?

I hope it gets better! I would like to be able to write fantasy and improve my worldbuilding skills.

10. How many cats is too many cats?

I currently have two cats in the house (my own and my dad's). Currently, two is feeling like too much!