0 . 1 4

| E X P E C T  T H E 
U N E X P E C T E D |
• • •
0 . 1 4

     The evening started off easily, with both Brooks and Jackson at the doorway of the charity event, greeting and giving them all a piece of paper, with donating details

     The evening started off easily, with both Brooks and Jackson at the doorway of the charity event, greeting and giving them all a piece of paper, with donating details. Keeping his imperfect smile was easier with a friend there, Brooks realized.

     Meanwhile, Jackson had dressed his very best that evening, knowing that Brooks would've been there.

     Charles stood beside Helena inside of the spacious building, the couple answering any questions that any of the townies might have had.

     With Charles sending Brooks warning glares from beside his wife, he took Mayor Patton's hand, holding it inside of his. "It's wonderful to see you again, Cheryl. Have you got any questions about this evening my son so graciously helped plan?"

     Mayor Patton nodded, her glasses beginning to slip from the tip of her aging nose. "Oh, yes, yes. What will your son be using as a talent this year? I know he's quite gifted when it comes to the guitar, but will he be branching out at all?"

     Charles shook his head, a grin plastered onto his thin, crinkled lips. "No, no, he'll be performing one of his favorite songs on the guitar. Just the acoustics, of course. His voice isn't anything special."

     Mayor Patton nodded, leaning over to greet Helena, before she and her husband found a seat in their designated seats, that had been labeled, Mr. and Mrs. Patton.

     Brooks leaned over to towards Jackson, his lips still holding onto the fake smile tightly. Jackson watched questioningly. "When are supposed to sit down? I had no idea there were this many people who lived in such a small town."

     Jackson shrugged, greeting another family, before turning back to Brooks, "you can go ahead and have a seat with your parents, if you want? I'll finish up with the last bit of people."

     Brooks shook his head, "no, it's fine, I couldn't possibly leave my best friend all alone to fend for himself, now could I?"

     Jackson's jaw clenched. There was that word again—friend. "It's fine, Brooks, just go."

     Brooks' playful attitude faltered at Jackson's now harsh tone, him turning and finding he and parents' seats. While finding them, he took a look around, his eyes narrowing in on his father who seemed to be spitting words into his mother's ear.

     He watched. Watched as Helena's chin wobbled at whatever Charles seemed to be spitting into her ear. But as soon as Charles noticed Brooks staring, he stomped over.

     Brooks tried to seem distracted and distraught by the cuffs of his suit, but Charles aggressively grabbed at Brooks' forearm, holding on tight.

     "Sit down now, I can't have both you and your mother straying," When Brooks opened his mouth to object, Charles' jaw began to seethe. "I said, sit down."

     Brooks plopped down, his eyes close to tears at how small, and nonexistent he father seemed to excel at making him feel. "Please don't yell at her," Brooks whispered, "she's just really excited about today, is all."

     At Brooks' trembling voice, and lips trying to keep a sane smile to all those around him. Charles took a deep breath in and out. "We'll talk about this when we go home, Brooklyn."

     In no time, the charity event had gotten started, and Brooks was wedge into a seat between both Helena and Charles, who clapped along to anything the head of the committee said, as all had been forgiven.

     When, Helena was called onto the stage, she plastered on her face, and made her way up. But every few seconds, she found herself looking over at Charles, to see if there was any sign of disapproval on his face.

     And when her eyes flickered to Brooks, he passed her an easy smile, that seemed to be the only reassurance she needed, before beginning.

     "Good evening, everybody. I'm Helena Sutton, and as a member of the Merritt Hill's Annual Mr and Miss Merritt Hills Ball Committee, I'd just like to say a quick thank you to everyone who donated, before hopping right in." Helena's voice was chirpy, and clear of any sign of abuse.

     "Alright, first off, this event is sponsored by a very, very close friend mine, who has been very gracious toward this town and Mr and Mayor Patton. Everyone, give a big round of applause for—"

     As though on cue, the double doors on each end of the building were bursted open, and in came four very, very rowdy teenagers, who'd been dressed as though they belonged, but the look on everyone's faces said they weren't.

     Charles placed a hand on Brooks' shoulder, his lips curling into a snarl at Blake's carefree, yet intense eyes blaring into the side of his head.

     Blake pointed a finger at Mayor Patton, whose eyes widened at Blake's tussled hair, and rugged suit. "What's up, Mrs. Patton? Not excited to see me? I mean, I am apart of this town, too—meaning, that I've got just as much of a right to be here as any of these rich posers."

     Mayor Patton didn't speak, her head shaking disapprovingly. "Now you aren't speaking to me? What am I, shunned? Everybody hates this bullshit ball anyway, and all you fucking parents know that."

     Brooks' mouth hung open, as he watched both Meg and Jeff take big, full plates and platters of any of the food they'd been giving out.

     Then, Blake turned to Brooks, whose heart had dropped into his foot, at that point. "Hey, Brooky, what do you say me, you, and a couple of my delinquent friends get out of here? Go do something fun."

     Jeff's fingers clamped themselves around Brooks' wrist, his eyes pleading to Brooks not to go. "Don't go, B. That guy's only trouble. Stay with me, here, where your family is. Where I am."

     Brooks' eyes shone with guilt under the limelight of the spacious building, as Blake's lips were bitten and curled, enticing Brooks with the lidded mood set in his dark eyes. "I-I'm sorry, J. You know I love you. But, I've got to get out of here, I'm sorry."

     He pulled his wrist from Jackson's grasp, as he ran full force toward Blake and his fiends, ignoring both Jeff, and Charles as they shouted from behind him.

     Blake held out a hand for Brooks once they were outside, the bystanders watching and meanwhile, the two not giving a damn.

     "Let's go, Brooky."