0 . 3 5

| E X P E C T T H E
U N E X P E C T E D |
•  •  •
0 . 3 5

     Blake sat nervously in his booth, as he gripped his cellphone tightly in his hands, Brooks' calming demeanor right beside him

     Blake sat nervously in his booth, as he gripped his cellphone tightly in his hands, Brooks' calming demeanor right beside him. Brooks had been hesitant to come along, wanting Blake to have quality time with his best friend.

     But when Jeff had called to say that Meghan would come along with him, he knew he couldn't handle an entire breakfast with just Jeff and Meghan themselves. Him instantly begging Brooks to come with.

     Brooks lied his head on Blake's shoulder, wanting so badly to smooth out his obvious nerves. What he was so nervous about—Brooks still hadn't found out. All he knew was that, once Blake had found out Meghan would be joining Jeff, his entire demeanor had changed.

Minutes later, Jeff and Meghan rounded their way into the small diner, their eyes searching for Blake. When Meghan's found Blake's, she smirked, only to frown in confusion at Brooks presence beside him.

Brooks noticed this, his eyebrows narrowing slightly in on Blake's obviously nervous and erratic hunched figure. "Blake, what's the matter? I thought you'd be happy doing this. If this makes you uncomfortable, I didn't mean to—"

Blake leaned over, his hands massaging small, soothing circles on Brooks' cheeks, as Jeff and Meghan made their way over. "I'm fine, just a little anxious. There's something I haven't told you, yet—"

"Hey, guys!" Jeff greeted the two of them with a large smile, him allowing Meghan to slide into the booth before him, just a foot in front of Blake. "What'd you order?"

"Nothing yet," Brooks smiled Meghan's way, only to be greeted with a purse of her lips. "We've been waiting for you. Blake here for some reason, has been nervous."

Brooks chuckled, as did Jeff and Meghan. The only one who hadn't found the joke to be funny, was Blake himself. He only sent an irritable look toward Brooks.

"Well, let's order—I'm starving!"

The four of them had ordered their meals, ordered their drinks, and began quiet conversation, until Meghan cleared her throat, red fingernails scratching at her wrist. "So, Brooks, if you don't mind me asking, why are you here? I mean, I was told that this would be sort of an inner circle breakfast."

Meghan smiled politely after her question, Brooks being taken off guard by her clear disregard for anyone else's feelings besides her own. Brooks looked over to Blake, who simply kept his eyes trained down at his fidgeting fingertips.

When noticing that Blake wasn't in any place to speak to Meghan, Brooks replied. "Well, uh—Blake asked me to come along, after he found out that you would be coming along."

Blake knew that Brooks meant well by his answer, but Meghan took it differently, as expected from a person alike her. With her heightened personality. "Oh, I see why. Seeing as the last time Blake and I hung out, it wasn't the most PG scenario, if you know what I mean."

After dropping such a bomb onto both Brooks, and Jeff, Blake's heart dropped, as did his fork, as Jeff began to stumble over his wording. "W-What do you mean?"

Jeff's words seemed hesitant, as though he already knew what both Blake and Meghan had done. "Oh, come on, J. You know what I mean, with having an open relationship, and Blake being as hot as he is—we were bound to sleep together."

Brooks couldn't speak, his doe-eyed look downcast into Blake's hunched figure, as he now had millions of questions working his brain. Had Blake and Meghan slept together when Brooks and Blake began dating, or before?

     The smaller boy couldn't help but feel disappointed toward Blake. Especially since he'd done unforgivable things to Meghan—Jeff's girlfriend.

     Jeff stood from the booth, an angry tear falling from his brown, usually happy, now devastated eyes. Meghan tried to stand beside him, but Jeff threw down back into the booth, her eyes widened and fearful.

     "Fuck you, Blake. And fuck you, Meg. I never knew having a trusted and open relationship with you, would lead to you fucking my best friend." Jeff spat, his fingers clenched around his car keys.

     "And you," Jeff's eyes narrowed onto Blake's, as Blake tried to speak above him, but was once again shut down, "don't come near me."

     With that, Jeff was gone, with a shaken Meghan, who still managed to sport a smirk, and a quiet Brooks, who finally found the courage to question the quiet boy beside him. "Did this happen once we were together, or before?"

     His tone was firm, and Blake responded immediately, Meghan's eyebrows furrowing in confusion. "Before, I swear, but I was confused, and didn't know what I was feeling, so I—"

     "I'm gonna go take a walk," Brooks' words were slow, as Blake shook his head in anticipation.

     "No, Brooks, this isn't the best side of Merritt Hills, it isn't safe—"

     Brooks didn't have time to listen, simply sprinting out of the diner, holding his sweatshirt close to his figure, as he tried his best not to hyperventilate. Maybe he was overreacting, he thought.

     But after what had happened between both Charles and Helena, then Jackson, he so deeply wished that none of them had been right about the notorious Blake Warner.