0 . 3 8

| E X P E C T T H E
U N E X P E C T E D |
•  •  •
0 . 3 8

     Brooks was woken up by the smell of freshly brewed coffee, and the sense of absence to the right of him

Brooks was woken up by the smell of freshly brewed coffee, and the sense of absence to the right of him. His hand reached out, patting the space beside him. His lips curled into a slight frown when he realized that Blake's familiar frame was nowhere to be found.

     He sat up, taking in the quietness that surrounded him. The only sound that seemed to be lively, was the high pitching of birds chirping on Blake's roof.

He sat up, a hand reaching up to tuck a strand of hair behind his heated ear.

The prior nights events came crashing back like a tidal wave, and Brooks resented having to walk into Blake's kitchen, and have a civil conversation. Which was something he was normally good at—great, even.

But he still felt sort of angry at Blake for keeping what happened a secret. Especially when he knew once it came up, it'd cause lots of drama and heartache to everyone involved.

Excluding Meg, who didn't seem to care at all.

Things had ended on good terms last night. Well, as good as things could be, while one of the two was harboring things deeply in his chest.

Brooks stood from his space in Blake's bed, reaching into one of his drawers for a clean sweatshirt. He grabbed a plain one, clinging to its scent that he knew too well was Blake's.

When he pulled open the bedroom door, he was hit with the smell of coffee once more, only this time ten times stronger.

He found Blake standing calmly over at the stove, not yet noticing his boyfriends presence.

"It smells pretty good in here," Brooks spoke quietly, "how long have you been up?"

The simple conversation seemed to be working for Brooks nerves.

Blake turned around in surprise, a ready spatula in hand. "I, uh—I've been up for a while now, I was actually waiting for the smell to wake you. Did it work?"

Brooks giggled at Blake's antics. "Yes, yes, it worked."

Blake continued cooking quietly, his stomach churning uncomfortably with the awkward silence he and Brooks had maneuvered themselves into. He hated whenever things felt this way with Brooks, considering the fact that he was supposed to be the one person things weren't awkward with.

And usually—he wasn't, but after things had come out, that was all that seemed to be in the air when they were alone.

And Blake couldn't help but think that maybe he ruined what the two of them had spent the beginning of the summer building.

Brooks could sense Blake's stress, the taller boy's leg bouncing rhythmically. He leaned forward, a warm smiling gracing his full lips. "Hey, come here for a second."

Blake obliged, taking the seat in front of Brooks with a heavy expression.

"You look worried," Brooks spoke into the silence, "why are you worried?" Sure, Brooks wasn't exactly ecstatic with the way Blake had handled things, but he wasn't planning on ending things.

Not right then, and not in the near future.

Blake leaned onto his elbows before Brooks, a shaky breath leaving his lips. "I feel like such an asshole for the way things happened last night. A-And when you left, I just . . ." He paused, finally meeting Brooks gaze. "I thought you were done with me."

Brooks' heart pulsed painfully, him wanting so badly to just reach out, and caress the side of his boyfriends face until he knew everything would be okay.

So, he did.

He stood up from his seat, a heavy heart in hand, and made his way over to Blake. He took a seat in Blake's lap, arms wrapping carefully around his neck.

Brooks leaned his forehead against the others', a dreamy sigh leaving his parted lips. Blake opened his mouth to speak, but Brooks leaned forward, their lips locking in pure and eventful emotion.

Blake smiled into the kiss, his fingers working tiny circles into the small of Brooks' back, his hand working up into the inside of his pajama top.

When Blake's lips began to travel toward the side of his boyfriends neck, Brooks smiled lightly, the top of his teeth grazing his bottom lip in pure happiness.

During Blake's fit of wholehearted kisses, Brooks nuzzled his nose into Blake's, his hands moving toward the neck of Blake's fitted t-shirt. "You wanna know what I think?"

Blake leaned in purposefully, Brooks having to lean back to resist an inevitable kiss. The darker man sighed in apprehension, "what are you thinking?"

"I think," Brooks pressed a kiss to Blake's temple, his hand working down his smooth shoulder. "That you should apologize to Jeff."

Blake opened his mouth to protest, but quickly shut it, while realizing that Brooks was right. Jeff left for school soon, considering he'd be going to a school in another state, and wanted to settle in early. And he didn't very much longer to get a good apology in.

An apology where Jeff would forgive him, and they could go back to who they were before everything happened.

Before he met Meg, and before they were being forced to grow up, and become participating members of society. However way they planned to do it.

He looked over at Brooks, landing a soft kiss at his forehead kindly. And he could only pray that an apology was enough to control and coat the damage he'd caused.