five

CHAPTER FIVE

“We’re gonna be late on our first day!” Anya yelled from where she was running, so much ahead of her sister. “Hurry up, Lera!”

Lera trudged behind, her charcoal boots dragging on the gravelly side road they were walking along. It was Monday morning and the girls were officially starting their first day of school. Anya had already made plans to hang out with Bobbie – the girl from the DIY shop – along with all her friends and clearly couldn’t wait to arrive. Her sister on the other hand was full of nerves, her stomach twisting and turning in fear of the unknown.

Although she had made a friend in Jubaida at the party, Lera wasn’t sure how everyone would react to her when they realised how much prettier and cooler her twin was. It seemed so petty but for probably the first time in her life, she was beginning to feel jealous of Anya. ‘It wasn’t fair!’ she thought with a frown. They had the same DNA, why couldn’t she be more like her sister?

Lera wished she could hate Anya or something in order to make her feelings valid but she just couldn’t. There was no doubt that her sister would rush to her defense if she ever needed help; they would always be there for each other.

Within no more than ten minutes, the two girls had reached Clearford High, the only secondary school in town. Although it was clearly quite an old building with its faded paint and rickety windows, the school stood tall, proud and perfectly clean. Even its neatly trimmed lawn was entirely free of any litter unlike their old school in London. Despite the fact the sisters were quite a bit away, the school still looked incredibly impressive.

Lera stalled when she caught sight of it, her nerves and fear of being the new girl intensifying dramatically.

“Hey,” Anya’s voice broke through her thoughts as she turned to squeeze Lera’s hand comfortingly. “I know how much you’re struggling with the move and everything. I know it’s hard and you haven’t been as, um, happy or fun loving as normal but don’t worry okay? You’ll be fine I promise, you’ll fit right in! And that Jubaida girl promised she’d meet up with you isn’t it? So lighten up Lera, you’ll be brilliant!”

Lera managed a thankful smile and the sisters walked towards the building, ignoring all the gaping and stares sent their way. “They’re probably just wondering who the new kids are, no biggie,” she muttered, more to herself than to Anya beside her as they walked towards the large office.

“Ah Lerato and Anya Petre!” the head teacher gushed as she stood up to greet them. “Good morning girls! I’m Mrs Hudson. Oh it’s so nice to see you again, last time I saw you, the two of you were just little girls!”

They dutifully shook hands with the excited old lady, pretending they two remembered her from their childhood although they didn’t have a clue who she was. Lera fidgeted anxiously as Mrs Hudson explained that their timetables were fairly different with only Biology together. She didn’t want to be split up from Anya!

“I’ve asked two students from your year group to show each of you around and introduce you to everyone. I know everyone will be very surprised to see two new faces even if they did know you before you moved!” she said, completely oblivious to Lera’s apprehensiveness. “You’ll probably be late for your form lesson but it’s alright, I’ve already informed your respective teachers!”

Plastering a fake smile on her face – probably looking more constipated than thankful though – Lera joined her sister in nodded happily.

“Good luck, Lera,” Anya muttered giving her sister a quick hug as Mrs Hudson cooed at them. “Have fun!” She left with her guide, a gangly red-haired boy with freckles who couldn’t stop gaping at the twins.