Chapter 3

Couple days later

Summer break had already begun with summer itself already in full swing,temperatures skyrocketing to +35 degrees on some days.
I remember the days when I would eagerly await summer break to throw on my denim shorts,sundresses and cycle all the way down to the beach to relax and unwind.
Now however,I loathe the season and treat summer break as every other holiday,just some time to preoccupy myself some more or go traveling,with no room to spare.

Like today for instance,I was due to meet Anthony and Cassandra for afternoon coffee after spending the greater part of the day cleaning up my wardrobes and rearranging my whole room.Living in grandma's old house meant getting rid of unnecessary things and repairing whatevers falling apart.
After she passed on 3 years ago,Mom couldn't bring herself to sell it and let go of all of grandma's belongings.So I had decided to move in anyway,since I was also hunting around the same time.

It was a good 1 hour drive away from my parents and my seventeen year old brother David often came over to stay.

After locking up,I jumped into my car and made my way into town.This afternoon coffee would do me good,even though I knew who would be the center of the conversation.Looks like Daniel hadn't left town yet and for me it meant staying indoors more and going out only if it was absolutely and really necessary to.Even though this town was fairly large,I still do not want to risk running into him.

I made my way into the coffee shop,the smell of butter,coffee and a whole bunch of aromas hitting my nostrils.At the same moment,my stomach grumbled painfully.Missing lunch was definitely not a clever choice.Katy Perry's Thinking Of You was playing through the stereo whilst the voices of waitresses blended into the chatter in the room.

I spotted my two friends who stood out in the booth at the far corner of the room.Anthony worked at a rather large firm as an architect while Cassandra was a psychologist at a hospital nearby.Their formal attire on this hot day when people normally wore dresses,shorts,skirts and tank tops was what made them stand out.Heck even I settled for a beige shorts that was 3 quarter and a blue and white striped t shirt.My hair which was almost dry flowed down my back and I pushed my glasses up on my head.

Maybe or rather they should have chosen a seat that was not next to the window,overlooking the busy street.

'Scared you might see him' my subconscious immediately fired and I shook my head,telling myself to stop being paranoid.

"Well that took you long enough."Anthony greeted as I set my wallet,handbag and keys on the table whilst sliding in next to Cassandra.I hugged her quickly and fist bumped Anthony.He shrugged out of his suit jacket and set it on the table,besides his cellphone.

A waitress came to take my order and left barking orders to another waitress who stood close by.Soon we all fell into our usual chatter of work,school and ofcourse planning our next night out.The three of us had been single for a while,scratch that,I hadn't become single until recently.

And then Anthony had decided to bring that sore topic up.
"So have you heard from ex loverboy?"He asked and then took a bite out of his blueberry muffin.
"No!"I answered almost too quickly and then sighed."It's been five months,things are over for good."

Anthony was referring to my ex boyfriend Isaac,who I had been dating for almost 3 years.We met after I had finished college and by mid fall,begun dating.

Our relationship wasn't pitch perfect but despite that,family and friends labeled us as 'couple goals' and 'match made in heaven'.Precisely the reason why when he sat down just after Valentine's Day to tell me that things are over between us,I could not fathom what even went wrong in the first place.