Gridlock

"Just one trip," the Doctor said, pointing to Martha as he walked around the console "That's what I said. One trip in the Tardis and then home. Although..." He wasn't sure whether it was a good idea to take Martha along for longer than necessary. He had noticed how she was towards Kaya although the Time Lord couldn't quite figure out why. The Doctor glanced to Kaya who smiled at him lightly. She was a little more subdued but that was normal. She had just found out that she was in another universe and wouldn't be able to see her family again "Although, I suppose we could stretch the definition. Take one trip into the past, one trip into the future. How do you fancy that?"

A smug little smile stole its way across Martha's face "No complaints from me."

The Doctor hummed "How about a different planet?"

"Can we go to yours?" Martha asked immediately, looking over at the alien pleadingly.

"Ah, there's plenty of other places," the Time Lord winced, hoping that the medical student would let it go. He really didn't want to have to tell her about what happened.

Martha sighed "Come on, though. I mean, planet of the Time Lords. That's got to be worth a look. Whats it like?"

"You don't have to tell us," Kaya cut in, raising her eyebrow at Martha. Opposed to the dark-skinned girl, the Shifter could see the pain the Doctor was trying to hide. It helped that she could feel it echoing through the Imprint bond but Shakespeare had been right. The Doctor's eyes were old and if people looked closely, they would be able to see the emotions swirling inside.

The Doctor sent her a thankful smile "It's fine," he nodded at Kaya before looking back to the medical student "Yeah, it's beautiful."

"Great big temples and cathedrals," Martha blundered on "Lots of planets in the sky?"

The Time Lord licked his lips nervously, looking down at his hands that were working on the console. He could feel Kaya's mental presence, trying to comfort him. Normally, he wouldn't react like this but he felt like embracing it. Another small smile flitted across his face when he heard the eighteen-year-old's quiet gasp. So she felt that too... Curious "The sky's a burnt orange," he spoke up "With the Citadel enclosed in a might glass dome, shining under the twin suns. Beyond that, the mountains go on forever. Slopes of deep red grass, capped with snow."

Martha's face lit up with excitement "Can we go there?"

"Nah," the Doctor shook his head, pasting a bright grin to his face "Where's the fun for me? I don't want to go home. Instead, this is much better. Year five billion and fifty-three, planet New Earth. Second hope of mankind. Fifty thousand light years from your old world and we're slap bang in the middle of New New York. Although, technically it's the fifteenth New York from the original, so it's New New New New New New New New New New New New New New York. One of the most dazzling cities ever built."

Kaya blinked a few times, her brain trying to catch up with the Doctor's rambling "New New York?"

"Yup," he grinned.

"Huh," the Shifter mumbled before shrugging "If there can be a New Orleans, then there can be a New New York. And a New Earth, I suppose."

While the two were talking, Martha had moved to the door and opened it "Urgh," the two heard from her.

"What's wrong?" the Doctor frowned, following behind.

Kaya stepped out into the pouring rain, shivering at the freezing cold of the rain "Holy crap," she whispered to herself, looking around the dank alley. She should be used to the rain. There was barely any weather in Forks that didn't involve either rain or snow but... Thankfully the cold didn't bother the Shifter much. It was one of the aspects that she really loved about being a wolf. Before her first shift, she got cold extremely easily.