b r o w n e y e d g i r l

dun-dun-dun-duh-dun

michelle heard the intro to a very familiar song coming from the other room. she laughed as she finished feeding her nine month-old son, anthony.

she rounded the corner to see peter and their fiver year-old daughter, daisy may. peter was twirling her around, singing the words to her.

"... playing a new game. laughing and a running, hey, hey. skipping and a jumping, in the misty morning fog."

michelle laughed some more, causing peter to look up. he smiled bigger, continuing singing.

"my brown-eyed girl, you my brown-eyed girl."

michelle laughed even more dancing with anthony.

"whatever happened," he continued on, "to tuesday and so slow? going going down the old mine with a transistor radio."

"standing in the sunlight laughing," michelle started to sing along, "hiding behind a rainbow's wall."

they continued to sing and dace to the song. michelle set anthony propped up on the couch.

"slipping and sliding all along the waterfall with you, my brown-eyed girl. you, my brown-eyed girl. do you remember when we used to sing...?" he continued with the iconic riff with his daughter.

as peter set daisy may down she said, "don't worry daddy, you dance with mommy, i'll dance with bubba." she ran towards anthony and danced with him.

peter walked over to michelle, grabbing her hands as she sang. "so hard to find my way, now that I'm all on my own. i saw you just the other day my, how you have grown. cast my memory back there, lord..."

he cut her off, leaning in next to her ear, whispering the next part. "sometimes I'm overcome thinking 'bout making love in the green grass behind the stadium with you my brown-eyed girl..."

michelle laughed some more continuing to dance until the song ended. once it did, she picked anthony up. "it's time for a nap, isn't it, bubba?"

as she was walking back into the living room, she saw both her daughter and her husband sitting on the couch.

"daddy, is mommy your brown-eyed girl?"

"well, yes, sweetheart, she is. but, so are you."

"not in the same way, daddy. i'm your little girl. she's just your girl."

"i guess you're right, daisy may, you always are."

"one day, i'm gonna be someone's girl, right daddy?"

michelle giggled at how flustered he got. "not for a long time, baby..."

michelle turned around and walked back to the kitchen.

she was his brown-eyed girl. and she was satisfied with that.

-----

this was one of the story ideas that pushed me to start this book, but i couldn't seem to finish it. i tried. here it is.

-----

392 words