3:15 pm

They|Him

July 20, Friday
"Hello? Is this Batboy?"

"Umm yes. Aren't you that Vic person from Made For You?"

"Yeah. Look I'm calling about Lani. Or 'Angel' as you call her."

"Wait is her name actually Lani? Or is this that Kristen thing all over again?"

"Yes her name is actually Lani. She doesn't know that I'm calling you."

"So what did you want to talk to me about?"

"I heard some of your conversation yesterday and I just wanted to tell you not to take it personally. Lani is someone who needs a lot of reassuring that you're not going to leave her. That you're serious."

"But why? What happened?"

"Her mom left when she was younger. She's been like that since. She thinks that eventually everyone is going to leave her. I mean if her own mother did then why would anyone else stay?"

"And why she's always denying compliments?"

"A mixture of depression, anxiety, and insecurity. It's hard for her to believe those things."

"I just wish she would realize that I'm serious. That I really do like her."

"Look. If you swear that you won't break her heart then I'll help you."

"Really? I swear on my life that I will never hurt her. Wouldn't even think of if."

"Ok good. Here's what we'll do..."

Note: I do not approve of telling someone's backstory/trauma to others without their permission first. Younger me did not think to add this note in, so I'm doing it now. Sometimes people think by sharing those facts, they're helping the situation. Regardless, that is not an excuse. This is simply a work of fiction I wrote that fell into a lot of cliches--this one being harmful--and it does not mean I personally support everything included.