~Chäptër Fivë A Khälëesi~

Rhaenyra's Horse

After a few more days had past at the camp we finally departed onward across the Great Grass Sea to Vaes Dothrak

After a few more days had past at the camp we finally departed onward across the Great Grass Sea to Vaes Dothrak. This time it is a lot easier for Daenerys and I to travel on horseback, now that we've gotten used to it. It's less painful and a bit more enjoyable now when riding with the horde. Like any other day, on this side of the Narrow Sea, it's a warm sunlit day but it is also a cloudy day too. Not like the dark gloomy storm clouds that mean rain is on its way, no they're soft fluffy clouds that cover the entire sky. Making our trek to Vaes Dothrak much more relaxing.
While we were marching through a meadow of horsetail reeds that went on for a few miles I observe on as to how the Dothraki handle their slaves. There property. It disturbs me truly, that people can have ownership over another person. Once Viserys and I get our throne back I am going to fight for no more slavery in every corner of the world. I'm going to liberate every man, woman, and child. Until every child born from these free people know only freedom and never slavery.
Abruptly I feel a burning feeling on my skin like someone is gazing at me, turning my sights I see it is Ser Jorah who is eyeing me.
"Yes?" I curiously question him.
"That's an interesting piece of clothing, princess" he says to me, nodding towards my scaled top. "Did you make it?" He asks causing me to nod.
"I always had a knack for creating my own clothing. Do you like it?"
"The scales of a dragon. I think it suits you" he tells me with a genuine smile. "It only makes sense for the Dragon's daughter to wear something that symbolizes that" he utters which results in a grin to appear on my face.
Are conversation is interrupted by one of Khal Drogo's bloodriders yelling down to one of his many slaves, which prompts me to loose my smile entirely.
"Do the Dothraki buy their slaves?" I ask Ser Jorah, wanting to know how they got this many slaves in the first place.
"The Dothraki don't believe in money" he informs catching the attention of Daenerys as well, so he continues. "Most of their slaves were given to them as gifts"
"From whom?" Dany further asks.
"If you rule a city and you see the horde approaching, you have two choices - pay tribute or fight. An easy choice for most. Of course, sometimes it's not enough" Ser Jorah tells both Daenerys and I of how people react towards the Dothraki when they have to face them.
"How can it not be enough?" I ask him with confusion written across my whole face.
"Sometimes a Khal feels insulted by the number of slaves he's given. He might think the men too weak or the women too ugly. Sometimes a Khal decides his riders haven't had a good fight in months and need the practice" Ser Jorah finishes, telling us all the ways a Khal could decide the fate of a city, town, village or any place where people, other than the Dothraki, reside.
"That's just disturbing" I say with a frown upon my face.
"But it is their ways, princess" Ser Jorah reminds me of the Dothraki lifestyle.
I nod my head as we continue onwards with our journey through the meadow of horsetail reeds. Hearing a commotion we see the Dothraki bloodrider from earlier shouting to another one of his slaves. He starts lashing the slave with his whip for no apparent reason. Turning my head towards Daenerys I give her a face, begging her to stop this. I have no power here but she is the Khaleesi of this Khalasar she can cease this.
"Tell them all to stop" Dany orders Ser Jorah making me sigh in relief.
"You want the entire horde to stop? For how long?" He questions my sister as we halt our horses.
"Until I command them otherwise" she tells him with a voice of authority causing me to smile at her, she's finally coming into her power as a Khaleesi.
"You're learning to talk like a queen" Ser Jorah says with a small smile.
"Not a queen. A Khaleesi" she corrects Ser Jorah before smiling towards me. "I think my sister will make a far better queen" she says making Ser Jorah's smile grow at hearing that.
Both Daenerys and I climb off of our horses and leave the Khalasar behind, heading into the meadow of horsetail reeds. We stride side by side in quiet peace for a bit. Hearing the breeze brushing through the stalks of reeds. It's peaceful and calming that I finally relax with a deep breath. Eventually we reach a small circular clearing where we could collect ourselves. But it doesn't last long. Hearing the sound of snapping and hoofbeats quickly approaching we turn to the source of it. Seeing nothing as of yet but hearing the noises getting closer and closer, Daenerys and I grab each others hands; preparing for the worse. And the worse finally arrives in the shape of our older brother, Viserys, charging into the clearing on his brown steed cutting away the horsetail reeds with his sword to get to us.
"You dare! You give commands to me? To me?" Viserys shouts at Daenerys, swiftly getting off of his horse and rushing up to us, gripping on to Daenerys' neck. "You do not command the dragon. I am Lord of the Seven Kingdoms" Seeing the way he grips my sister's throat puts me on edge so I grasp Viserys' shoulder trying to stop him.
"Leave her alone, Viserys!" I yell at him, trying to get him away from Dany but before I could do anything else Viserys abusively elbows me in the stomach.
Falling to the ground in immense pain, gasping to regain my breath from the blow.
"Rhae!" Dany yells, scared with concern for me, but Viserys stops her from doing anything else by aiming his sword at her throat.
"I don't take orders from savages or their sluts. Do you hear me?" He continues on at Daenerys, trying to intimidate her.
But before Viserys could do any more harm a whip encircles around his neck, harshly yanking him quickly to the ground. Looking up from the ground I see that it is Rakharo, one of Khal Drogo's bloodriders, who is the one that has brought my brother down to the ground. Dany finally free from our brother rushes over to me, helping me up and holds onto me so I don't fall back to the ground again.
After being risen from the ground I see that Rakharo didn't come to our aid alone. Ser Jorah, on his brown steed, and Daenerys' handservant Irri, on foot, had come as well. It was most likely Ser Jorah's idea to come after us, to protect us. He's always protecting us, especially against Viserys, and for that I am grateful.
Rakharo still holding Viserys down on the ground with the whip still tightly wrapped around his throat speaks towards Daenerys in Dothraki. Neither one of us being fluent in the language yet wait for Irri to translate.
"Rakharo ask if you want him dead, Khaleesi?" She informs Daenerys who looks uncertain about the situation.
"No" Dany says while repeatedly shaking her head, causing Rakharo to speak again.
"Rakharo says you should take ear, to teach respect" Irri translates for us again making Dany a bit more unnerved.
"Please. Please, don't hurt him" she begs in a way that isn't very Khaleesi-like, and she knows this when she looks to me then to Ser Jorah, she knows she must act stronger than this. "Tell him I don't want our brother harmed" she orders Irri in a more authoritative voice.
Irri nods to Daenerys before turning to Rakharo and translating for him. A look of bewilderment crosses Rakharo's face from what Irri translated to him. He looks down towards the handservant to confirm what she has said. Irri having no words just shrugs her shoulders, giving him a face that said just abide to the Khaleesi's wishes. Rakharo, finally going by his Khaleesi's command, releases Viserys from the tight grip of the whip. For those few seconds all we hear is Viserys' deep attempts to take in large gulps of air. But that quickly changes and only anger is left on him.
"Mormont! Kill these Dothraki dogs!" Viserys screams to Ser Jorah with a beet red face.
But instead of listening to Viserys' order all Ser Jorah does is stare at Rakharo. And Rakharo does the same towards Ser Jorah. Both men knowing from their quick silent conversation that neither of them is going to attack each other. And this only leads to Viserys to become even more furious.
"I am your king!" Viserys bellows in his last attempt to get what he wants.
"Shall we return to the Khalasar, Khaleesi? Princess?" Ser Jorah asks, paying no mind of Viserys or what he demanded.
Agreeing to Ser Jorah's offer, Daenerys helps me to my horse. With the aid of Daenerys and Irri they lift me up onto my dappled grey mare. Groaning in pain from the quick movement I finally settle on to my horse. Feeling a set of eyes on me I look towards Ser Jorah to see him looking at me with a concerned gaze. I give him a reassuring smile, letting him know I'll be all right I just need time to heal for a bit. Daenerys finally climbs up onto her beautiful white mare and leads the way out of the clearing and towards the Dothraki horde waiting for us. While I follow my sister and Ser Jorah I faintly hear Rakharo tsks down at Viserys.
"You walk" he says in broken common tongue.
Smirking at what Rakharo is making the supposed King of the Seven Kingdoms do felt like a small victory. He will most possibly, by the end of the day, have excruciatingly sore feet. He will have to be like all the other Dothraki slaves and walk for hours on end. And to me it was a small bit of justice but still justice to our nasty despicable brother.