Blood

In Vino Veritas:

Chapter 6:

Maaya stared up at him, dumbfounded at his words. She hadn't known the narcissist for very long, but she had a feeling that it was probably the kindest thing that he was likely to say. Ayako had her mouth wide open which confirmed her suspicions.

"...Thank you, Naru," she said and bowed her head respectfully, making him realise the weight of what he had said.

"It's what we do for all of our clients," he said and turned away to analyse the reading as well as avoid seeing her.

Maaya pouted and Ayako sighed deeply, wondering when Naru was actually going to say something nice to her without going back on it seconds later.

The amnesiac switched her attention to her son who was studiously reading a picture book about ghosts.

"He's very quiet for a one year old," the priestess commented. "Most of the one year olds that I have met don't stop babbling and stumbling around everywhere."

"He has always been very quiet," Maaya agreed. "He hasn't cried since he was six months old and even then, it wasn't very often. He is a quick leaner, I think he must take after his father since I'm pretty slow."

Naru felt a fragment of warmth for a moment as he overheard Mai talking about her son's father which was him, of course. He reminded himself that there was a case to solve and he had to solve it before it was too late and Mai became seriously. The feeling of warmth evaporated immediately. He had to retain his impervious persona and solve the case.

Lin entered the base carrying an electric kettle and a small tin of loose tea.

"Maaya, tea," Naru ordered and a feeling of normalcy returned to him. He was on a case and Mai was making tea for him.

"What's with the dropping of honorifics?" Maaya muttered before accepting the kettle from Lin.

"You're using a nickname for me, in return I'm dropping honorifics," Naru explained. "It makes it fair."

Lin sighed. Some things never changed. A case of drunken debauchery and amnesia was never going to stop the bickering between Naru and Mai.

Five minutes later Maaya placed a teacup down on top of the table that Naru was using with more force than was necessary.

"Here's your tea, Naru-sama," she said sarcastically before handing Ayako and Lin their cups with a smile.

"I'm glad that you have seen the light and are being respectful to me," Naru retorted, unable to help himself.

Fortunately for the other three people the room Yasuhara came in carrying his notebook before the argument could escalate.

"I have gained some information from Hana Kudou-san."

The narcissist nodded. "Was there anything useful?"

"Not really. She bought the ryokan seven years ago and she isn't from this area so she doesn't know any local folklore. Apparently the previous owner never mentioned anything about ghosts so she was surprised by the attacks when they first occurred."

The scientist frowned, yet again there was something wrong with the case. In his experience, ghosts occupied buildings that they had a connection to and did so for a number of years and didn't suddenly crop up and focus on attacking one person. Unless, that person had done something to where they were buried.

"Maaya, have you desecrated any graves or shrines recently?"

Unsurprisingly the brunette took offence at the accusation. "What are you implying!? I'm not the type of person that would do that!"