Love like Oxygen

In Vino Veritas:

Chapter 11:

An hour later everyone was lined up in the base like soldiers ready for battle. All the employees of SPR were dressed appropriately for the occasion with John, Bou-san and Ayako in their respective robes and holding their applicable equipment like vials of holy water for John and tokkosho for the monk. Naru was in his customary black ensemble and Masako was in a flower patterned kimono.

"Are we all clear on the plan?" Naru asked. "If anything goes wrong we cannot make another attempt because we will not have our bait anymore."

"The bait has a name, you know," Maaya retorted.

"I will take that as a yes. Yasuhara-san, leave this ryokan with Hara-san, Kudou-san, Yakumo-kun and the three other guests that are staying here."

It had been a concern that the ghosts would become violent and attack people who had no way of protecting themselves so it had been decided that they would be evacuated from the premises leaving only the SPR and the bait.

"Matsuzaki-san, you have told Maaya how to protect herself if no one can get to her in time?"

"Yes."

The narcissist nodded and stood in front of Maaya who was looking pale and apprehensive despite her claims to the contrary, a fairly normal reaction to being told that she was going to act as bait to lure out two very angry and violent ghosts that wanted to harm her.

"Maaya, we are all going to protect you as much as possible. Do not worry about anyone here getting hurt, they are all trained and experienced. Stepping in front of them to block attacks or yelling at the ghosts to stop will not do any good. Do you understand?"

"I understand, Naru. Pinky promise?" She held out her baby finger. Upon seeing his perplexed reaction she elaborated. "Shake my finger with yours. It makes it a sealed promise."

Clearly a variation on "cross my heart and hope to die, stick a needle in my eye, Naru noted to himself before holding out his shortest finger and shaking Maaya's, generating surprised looks from everybody.

"It's less trouble than alternative," he offered as an explanation before returning to the plan. "As we discussed we are going to the kitchen which contains the greatest number of hazards out of all the locations here."

The group make their way to the kitchen. It was still early in the morning and the sky was cast with grey clouds blocking out the sunlight, which set the scene for the exorcism.

Naru led Maaya into the centre of the kitchen and stepped back to check. She was in the trajectory of all the knife blocks ranging from meat cleavers to pastry knives as well as the fire extinguishers and a blowtorch for burning sugar, exactly as planned. The ghosts who were targeting her would be unable to resist such an opportunity for killing her.

The omnouji, priestess, monk and priest took their places in a circle around the amnesiac. Naru moved to he was behind Lin as he had promised the omnouji that he would stay out of harm's way.

"Is everyone ready?" he asked quietly.

Everyone nodded in synchronisation and focused their eyes on the bait who still looked pale and scared.

"Maaya, pick up a knife and hold it," Naru instructed.

As she did a gust of wind blew through the room, ruffling everyone's hair.

"They're coming. Get ready," he said. "Keep hold of the knife."

Maaya made a mewing noise of fright, but she stood her ground.

In Vino Veritas (Ghost Hunt) (NaruxMai)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara