Chapter 1: Sunflowers

Hello my duckiesss! Hope you dudes are doing well! Welcome to my FiRsT wattpad story! pls, Pls, PLS let me know what you guys think!! I'd love the feedback! I hope you guys enjoy. Here's it is: Dead Girl Walking.

I've come to the conclusion that either God hates me or is the proud owner of one really sick sense of humor. My name is Chloe Dwyer and I live in the tiny, irrelevant town of Cherry Oak. State famous for the annual Cherry Picking Contest, Cherry Spring Lake, and a complete ignorance of the outside world.

 I've lived here my entire life and can count how many times I've left the state on one hand, better yet on two fingers. My Mom and Dad say that I could always take a gap year before college to travel and I reply that if they hadn't treated their prestigious Architecture group like a favorite child I wouldn't have to. 

You could consider me spoiled, but I'm only as spoiled as a child forsaken by their parents in exchange for illustrious careers. Yes, I reap the benefits, but I would give everything I have away for a life in which my emergency contact at school were my parents, not my next-door neighbors.

But as much as I complain, I have a lot to love about my neighbors, the Morrison family. They are a founding family of Cherry Oak meaning they've got a lot of pull with deciding who wins the Miss Cherry Oak pageant, which may not seem like a big deal, but is the only dream and aspiration of 90% of the girls in this insipid town. I've been best friends with Kurt Morrison since I moved here in Kindergarten and been in love with him since Fourth Grade when he spent over an hour getting Kelly Carter's Bubblicious Bubble Gum out of my hair.

He doesn't know. It would just make things weird with us. I'm so close with his family that I would hate to ruin that, even though his mom's, Katherine Morrison's, attempts to match us up are getting progressively more blatant and complex. 

Katherine had been a former Miss Cherry Oak when she met star football/class president/future mayor, Jonathan Morrison. They met fell in love, traveled the world three times over, became lawyers and then returned to reclaim they're right to Cherry Oak. They were my heroes. I can't count how many times they were there for me when my parents' week in the city turned into a month or when it got too dark in my house when I got too old for a nanny.

 My parents were around more often when I was younger I'm told, but eventually their careers took the front seat and they only came back to Cherry Oak, once or twice a month to make sure I hadn't managed to die and refill my monthly stipend for food, clothes, etc. The Morrisons were more like my real parents. 

They knew my fears, my favorites, my hopes and dreams, my ongoing effort to try the world's best chocolate chip cookie. Or maybe most importantly, my dream to study law at Harvard. I had worked my ass off in high school, but I was applying to Ivy League for my undergraduate studies, sometimes whatever you do is never enough.

It was a cold Monday morning when I heard a knock at my front door. I had lived alone since I was 15. My parents no longer found it necessary for them to pay for someone to watch their child, something they clearly couldn't be bothered to do.

I lived in the first house my parents had ever designed and built together. It was meant to be a vacation home, but they thought they could make it a family home after I was born. It was beautiful and as much as I held resentment against them, they were damn good with a blueprint. It was a modern design with a cabin-like flair. It was lake-side and had large arching windows gave a beautiful view every evening of the sun setting over the lake.

The knocking wouldn't stop.

 "Freaking Fantastic! Who is it?" I grumble, rolling unceremoniously out of bed. 

As soon as my bare feet hit the cold hardwood floor, I instantly regretted getting out of bed. I grabbed my comforter and wrapped it around me with an angry frown cemented on my face. I stormed down the stairs and towards the front door.

 I was going to kill this person.

I aggressively pulled on the front door prepared to destroy the fiend who was knocking on my door at 8:00 in the morning.

I was met with the most beautiful person I had ever seen. 

He was tall, dark and handsome. Well not really, he WAS tall and he DID have curly dark brown hair, but his bright green eyes were well matched with the freckles speckled over his nose. He looked muscular, but lean. 

Did he play soccer? Lacrosse? Intense Go Fish?

 I didn't know, but I did know that, as unfortunate as it was, I was going to have to murder this gorgeous god of a guy.

"Hi, I'm Conner. I just moved in next door." He said with a smile and holy shit, my heart stopped.

He continued as he held out the giant wicker basket over flowing with a variety of golden muffins. "I'm sorry to bother you, but I just wanted to introduce myself and give you these muffins my mom made. They're really good. She won tons of awards back in our old town-" I put my hand up, stopping him. Leaning against the door, I look up at him coyly.

"Do you know what time zone this is?" I ask sweetly, batting my eyelashes.

"Umm, I don't know Eastern Daylight, maybe?" He stuttered taken aback, humor flashing in his eyes. "Why do you ask?"

"Just curious. And that would make it what day right now?" I pondered as if to myself.

"Saturday?"

"Yes! Yes, thank you. And what time, perchance, might it possible be on this lovely Saturday?" This kid was too innocent for the punishment I executed on those who disrupted my Saturday mornings.

Connor glanced at his watch. "7:38?" He stated. "You want seconds too?" 

Sarcastic too? Boy, this kid was the full package.

"OH! So what you are telling me is that you decided to wake me up at 7:38 on a Saturday morning to introduce yourself?" I started. "You couldn't have waited until a normal hour? Like 1:00 pm? No? You had to disrupt one of the holiest times of the week. The ONE day I can sleep in. The ONE time I can live without a harsh awakening."

Conner looked stunned.

"HMM?" I was pissed, but those muffins did smell really good. "Give me those muffins."

I grabbed the basket and began to shut the door, but stalled before opening it again and, in my sweetest voice, said, "Oh! And please thank your Mom for the muffins!" before slamming the door with finality,

And just like that, I skipped merrily, away from the new boy-next-door like Little Red Riding with my freshly baked muffins in hand.

Vote and comments if ya wanna! <3