12. BABY STEPS

CHAPTER TWELVE
[BABY STEPS]

For a second, Molly felt like Kai's hug was all she needed right now

The first hug that felt like what it was like to be wanted, to be cared for, to be loved.

He did that to her, made her feel noticed.

And she liked it, she liked that feeling.

Until she remembered what he was.

Molly pushed him off of her, and walked past him wiping her tears and rolling her sleeves up as she wanders into the living room.

Kai lingered in the kitchen alone for a second. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

'Baby steps.' He thought. 'You're getting better.'

He turned around and followed Molly into the living room. She stumbled a bit as she walked. How much had she drank in only an hour? Kai didn't really remember the effects of alcohol anymore. The amount of time he had spent drinking alone until he blacked out kind of masked those feelings after a while.

"Are you okay?" Kai questioned as he watched her grab another bottle off of the coffee table.

She scoffed. "Don't act like you care. You can't."

He clenched his jaw. He wanted to care. "Maybe you should slow down." He gestured toward the drink in her hand.

"Maybe you should just fuck off." Molly slurs her words.

"No." Kai responds immediately after. "As of now you are under my watch."

"Jesus christ, Kai." She scoffed flailing her arms out. "I'm fine. Just another little blip in my storyline." She says proudly.

Another.

"Just because it might not matter to me doesn't mean it doesn't matter to you." He says. "I still remember what things feel like, you know?"

"You have no idea what I feel." She wipes her lips with the back of her arm after taking a drink.

"Really?" Kai says, narrowing her eyebrows. "You don't think i tried to kill myself? Before I got put here?" Molly didn't respond. "I took twenty of my antidepressants one night. Apparently that's not enough to kill a nineteen year old boy. It also wasn't enough to get my parents to get me help." He says, Molly bit the inside of her cheek and listened. "I know the last thing you need to do is drink yourself into something worse."

Molly swallows, then took a deep breath. "Fine." She shrugs.

"Let's go home." He says, still being hesitant with her, unsure what would send her into another breakdown— he didn't like dealing with that. He was unaware of how to handle his own emotions, much less hers. "Okay?"