30. EMPTY THOUGHTS

CHAPTER THIRTY
[EMPTY THOUGHTS]

Molly hurried her way through the dark woods, knowing she was running a bit later than usual because she lost track of time while studying earlier

Meeting Kai at the cemetery every night at ten for the past month wasn't really necessary anymore, but it gave both of them something to look forward too.

The cold breeze swept past her, and a chill ran down her spine as she realized how quiet these woods actually were. She began to look around, the eerie feeling of being watched succumbing her.

Tall trees, with leaves trying to bloom through the deadly winter cold, towered over her. The crescent moon hung in the sky as her only source of light.

As she got to the edge of the cemetery, she slowed to a stop as Kai wasn't in his usual spot on the bench by the cross headstone.

"Kai?" She spoke, looking around. She reaches into her pocket, pulling out her phone.

molly denver:
i'm gonna be a bit late
molly denver:
i'm On my way!

She narrowed her eyebrows at her texts, that were sent fifteen minutes ago. He should've responded by now— or at least opened them.

molly denver:
hello?
molly denver:
are u here yet?

A phone buzzes from in front of her after she sends her texts. Molly slowly puts her phone back in her pocket as she narrows her eyes towards the sound, finding a dark figure lay on the ground beside the mausoleum.

As her eyes adjusted to the light, the figure makes out to be Kai, rolling on the ground, hugging his chest in pain— blood spilling from his mouth, his face covered in cuts and bruises.

Molly let out a gasp as she ran over to him. She fell down onto the ground beside him as a panic washed through her body. "Kai?!" Molly says, examining his bloodied face as he coughs up blood. "What happened—"

Kai looks up past Molly and she follows his gaze, turning around to find Tyler weakly getting up from the ground.

Her blood ran cold, and she kept waiting to wake up from this nightmare that she idiotically never thought would happen— she hated herself for how naïve she was.

Tyler angrily charged towards her, forcefully grabbing her arm and lifting her off the ground from Kai.

Molly pulled her arm away before he could drag her farther away from Kai. Her lips trembled as she breathed hard, trying to gather words as neither of them wanted to speak.