September 9th

"What's Salus Day?" Dom was frustrated. He had to learn, in only a few days, what Caelum had grown up knowing. Every time he finally grasped a concept or learned a fact about Salus, Caelum threw something new at him.

"It's sort of like our version of Memorial Day," Caelum said. "We remember those who have given their lives in the defense of mankind against magical threats. But it's also a celebration of what Salusians now- especially the Council- do for the world, and just a celebration of being a Salusian in general."

The entire population of Salus had gathered into the top floor of the Osbourn building, and Dom was struck by the depressing fact that all the Salusians could fit into the ballroom. Maybe the magical population really was dying out, like Caelum said it was. The room was decorated with streamers, balloons, banners, and a table of food. At one end of the room, there was a set of double doors.

Dr. Nichols strode to the front of the room, and without even needing to say anything, the room quieted. "Salusians," he started, "we gather here today to honor those killed in defense of humanity, but we also take this opportunity to celebrate our lives here. We live in the largest pocket of magical-users in the world, and..."

Dom yawned. He'd had another magic lesson that morning and, now that it was early evening, he was exhausted. Forcing himself to pay attention, Dom caught the very end of Dr. Nichols' speech. "Salusians, thank you for all you do!"

There was applause, and music started playing. People milled around, eating and talking, dancing and playing games and laughing. After a few hours, most of the families with children had left, and there were only a few people remaining in the ballroom. Dom wasn't sure where Caelum and Victoria were, so he drifted away from the snack table toward the open double doors at the end of the room. He took a few steps into the room, then stopped. He'd never been here before, and its contents came as a shock. The room's ceiling was high, but the floor had been divided by walls that rose ten feet into the air. Paintings hung on the walls, along with wands, ripped and bloody cloaks and capes, letters, and other memorabilia.

Dom caught his breath and walked further into the room. Ask he walked, the garments of the people in the paintings became more modern, until the painting became faded black-and-white photographs and, eventually, color photos. Beneath each image was a name and dates.

It was a memorial room. It made sense that Salus would have more than a garden to memorialize its fallen heroes, but no one had told Dom about this room. Either they simply hadn't thought to or they had decided not to. Did they think it would frighten him? It did, a little.

Dom turned the corner around a bookcase and realized with a jolt of surprise that he wasn't alone. Eli Montgomery was sitting against the bookcase, hugging his knees to his chest, head down. He was clutching a Solo cup, which was tipping at a precarious angle.

Dom took a cautious step closer. He couldn't tell if Eli was awake or asleep. He was about to speak when he noticed the wall opposite where Eli sat.

The picture on the wall was of a boy who looked like an older Eli. He was leaning against a tree, hair mussed by the wind, with an easy grin. He was wearing a Saint Louis University hoodie. That same hoodie hung on the wall beside the portrait, along with a few papers- a birthday card, a college acceptance letter, an essay.

Beneath the photo was the name William Montgomery. Dom didn't realize there was a lump in his throat until he tried to swallow. He shifted his gaze back to Eli. "Hey, uh... Eli?"

There was a glazed look to Eli's eyes when he lifted his head, and he hadn't bothered to wipe away the tears streaking his cheeks. "Caelum?"

Dom shifted his weight from foot to foot. "It's Dom."