Author's Note

I was going to have this be the ending of "13 Reasons Why", but then I thought it would be better as a sequel/alternate ending because this story is basically one big crackpot theory, and it'll complicate the fuck out of the original story. But it's not really an alternate ending, it's kind of more like an extension to the original story seeing as I ended it on a cliffhanger.

As you can tell from my other two stories ("Identity" and "Family Tree"), I'm obsessed with the theory that Hanna has a twin. I always thought it was her who had one, so I was mad when Mrs. DiLaurentis was the person revealed to have one in 6x20. I mean, Hanna was always the one associated with twins. Ali told her the twin story (which is what this sequel is based upon) in 2x13, Ashley Marin was the only one who saw the ghost of one of those twins in 3x13 (plus the girl was seen in Hanna's room), Hanna was the only one who saw the "twins" in Ravenswood in 4x13, and not to mention all the times where characters mention how similar Ali and Hanna look. It's also been said numerous times how much Ali and Charlotte look alike, but wouldn't that also mean that Hanna and Charlotte look alike too?

Let me just start off by saying that in this story/universe, Charlotte is still "A" but she's not transgender (she was born female rather than transitioned to female), and Mary Drake doesn't exist/isn't her mother (or Spencer's mother for that matter), but Charlotte and Ali are still cousins (I'll explain this later on). She also lied about how old she is, and she's actually the same age as the Liars. I only changed this stuff so it would fit into my story better. I'm not trying to erase her identity/sexuality or anything, and I'm not transphobic (I'm actually part of the LGBT community). 

So to summarize this crackpot theory: Hanna and Charlotte are the twin girls from the story in 2x13. Charlotte was the one to stab Hanna, and that's the reason why she (Charlotte) was sent to Radley. Hanna (obviously) didn't die when Charlotte stabbed her, but she repressed the memory of it (Charlotte literally stabbed Hanna in the back so Hanna doesn't even know that she has a scar there). Ashley Marin is their mother and she also doesn't remember that incident or that she has another daughter. That is why she saw the "ghost" of Charlotte in 3x13, and why the "ghost" went into Hanna's room. It was Ashley's subconscious telling her that her long-lost daughter was out of Radley, and that her other daughter was in danger from her.

Now here's where this really gets wild... Jessica DiLaurentis and Ashley Marin are sisters, and Carla Grunwald is their mother. Ashley has always had a suspicious upbringing, and she does look similar to Mrs. Grunwald. Plus it would explain Hanna (and Ali's) weird connection to her. Jessica being Ashley's sister would also explain why Jessica got Ashley a job (I think it was in season 5), and why Ashley was so motherly to Ali in 5A (because Ali was her niece and Ali's mother/Ashley's sister was just murdered). Ali and Hanna being cousins/family would also explain why Ali chose Hanna to be in her inner circle. Back in her "Hefty Hanna" days, Hanna was far from being popular. I always wondered why someone as popular as Ali would choose someone like Hanna to be one of her friends. Deep down, Ali knows Hanna's family and that's why she wanted to keep her around. I know this is a crazy theory, but it helps to explain some things like why Ali, Charlotte and Hanna look so similar.

And Tom doesn't remember Charlotte either, but he always treated Hanna like shit because he knew he wasn't her father, and that's why he really left Ashley (and Hanna). This is also the real reason why he doesn't visit Hanna in Radley after she tried to kill herself (in "13 Reasons Why"). I know this doesn't happen until 6A and this story takes place during 5A, but Tom's the reason why Charlotte gave money (from the Carissimi group) to Hanna for college. Although Charlotte was torturing her sister (as "A") she loved her in her own twisted way, and felt bad that Hanna's "dad" wasn't going to pay for her to go to college, but rather his step-daughter instead. So I think I'll stay canon (with Charlotte), and have Ted be the father (of both Charlotte AND Hanna). Ted doesn't know he's the father though which is why he couldn't see the "ghost" of Charlotte in 3x13. Ted and Ashley remember hooking up way back when but like I just mentioned, Ted never knew he got Ashley pregnant.

Charlotte's motive for being "A" is that she was mad that she was sent away to (and forgotten about at) Radley, and jealous because Hanna got to live a normal life which is why Hanna seems to get tortured more than the other girls (this is also why Charlotte framed Ashley for the murder of Wilden). But at the same time, Charlotte hated Ali for bullying her sister and the Liars for not doing anything about it, so that's why she tortures them too.

I tried to foreshadow all of this throughout "13 Reasons Why". So if you'd like, after reading this sequel, you can go back and re-read the original story to see how everything falls into place. It's like when we learn something big on "PLL", and have to go back and re-watch previous episodes to see if the clues add up.

I just hated how brushed over Hanna's whole addiction/identity storyline was in 5A. I honestly don't think her committing suicide during that time was that far of a stretch. I wish they would've dealt with that storyline better. And I really wish they would've given Hanna a twin or had her be related to Ali and Charlotte in the show. But that's what fanfiction is for, I suppose.