𝙥𝙧𝙤𝙡𝙤𝙜𝙪𝙚 (𝙥𝙖𝙧𝙩𝙞𝙚 𝙙𝙚𝙪𝙭).

TWO sets of legs swung from the balcony of the Montclairs' hôtel particulier. Two pairs of eyes watched the darkening sky as it transitioned into shades of purple and pink.

The boy gazed admiringly at the lilac clouds that filled the evening, along with the perishing ball of light slowly sinking behind the Paris skyline, the distant Eiffel Tower a striking silhouette amongst it all. The girl's eyelids grew heavier with each passing minute, barely noticing as a set of fingers stroked her scarlet red mane.

"Look," The boy pointed upwards with his other hand. A swirl of lavender and indigo now transfigured the sky, the disappearing sun leaving behind a sliver of dark orange. The remaining phosphorescence from the gradually dimming sky danced along the streets of the city. "Purple — it's a mixed pigment of blue and red. That's why it's my second favorite color. It somewhat symbolizes our relationship."

"You know what else it symbolizes," the girl spoke in a slightly bitter tone. "Irritability. Impatience. Arrogance."

He gave her a bewildered look, nevertheless he didn't feel surprised by her sudden retort — she must be in one of those days, when red became redder than the usual. Blue learned to cope up with Red's resentful behavior during these moments; Blue would cuddle Red affectionately even if she tried to resist, and in the end Red would give in and allow herself to get lost in the pleasure of Blue's embrace.

But not this time.

She uttered about Purple in a manner that indicated she was not fond of it, as if she somewhat resented it, as if she wanted nothing to have to do with it. And for Red to eschew that certain color, she'd have to eschew Blue as well.

It had only occurred to her now. Red represents chaos and danger, Blue represents peace and tranquility. There are certain fusions that can result to a wonderful entity: Green represents fertility and safety, whereas Yellow represents optimism and loyalty; together they they also represent freshness. Green has ambition, greed and jealousy, Yellow has cowardice and deceit; these traits harmonized with each other nonetheless. When there is jealousy, there is also cowardice. When there is deceit, there is also ambition.

But it wasn't like that for Blue and Red. They were too contradicting. Chaos and peace, anger and tranquility, aggressive and passive — these were combinations that simply could never mingle. No wonder White had to stand between these contradicting colors in the French flag.

Red had gone. The indigo sky had turned into a full shade of dark blue, and now the boy lay there alone, drowned in his own color, Blue, the color that rendered misery.

But every twilight, of every typical day and night, remained purple all the same, never gone.

—-