Chapter ONE

Blackhawk sat with Officer Martin, on the outdoor patio of the West Precinct–Seattle Police Department. He lit the cylindrical roll of ground tobacco with steady fingers and inhaled the toxicity. Officer Martin smoothed the crook of his neck all while pacing the length of the patio.

"I don't get it..."

"What's not to get?"

"Why all three?"

Blackhawk puffed his lips with a blow of toxins into the bleak sky, strengthening the pollutant dome, "Ulterior motive," he said. Flicking at the end of the bud, he stood from the concrete step, his strong hands dusting off invisible flecks of dust. When assured, he strolled over towards the vinyl columns where the distressed officer gazed at the real world of mothers strolling with squalling babies down the pathway and bustling cars.

The officer sighed, his breath mingling with the neighboring air and went into the mist. Blackhawk placed a support on the man's shoulders, giving him a little pat before slipping it into his black khakis. They stood in silence, giving the usual melody downtown to clog their eardrums while sharing the addicting flavor of the fading cigarette.

"Don't dwell on it, we'll figure it out," he lowered his voice to a gruff and spoke out the side of his mouth as he released the excess smoke. "we always do."

The doors opened and out, walked Kate, the lead detective on the bar case. She was cold and kept a light-brown cardigan wrapped around her shoulders as she strolled towards the gaping men. She was one hell of a sexy woman. Blackhawk examined the gorgeous woman from her black leather boots to the elegant knitted beanie, warming her brunette head. She looked like a woman on a magazine cover with her delicious curves and big round ocean eyes with the skin of the palest olive. Her ivories were on display and she settled in between the two bulky men.

"Gentlemen."

Officer Martin rushed, throwing the bud onto the concrete before stomping his heavy boots onto it. "Detective, any leads?"

"We're leaving for interrogations. Join us."

She peered up into the eyes of Blackhawk. Kate felt the intensity in the air, vibrating arousal through her, causing her to tremble inside. He was the most charming man Kate had ever known. Officer Martin stood zero chances at exceeding the man's perfection. She masked her admiration into a solemn facade.

Martin nodded, jolted up the mass of stairs towards the backdoor, and into the office filled with occupied officers. Blackhawk stood with one hand in his trouser pocket, pretending to lounge in front of her instead of exposing the amount of lust that covered his mind as he surveyed her coolly. Her dark lashes blew over her eyes and swept the skin below it. He noticed every detail. From the scattered freckles across the bridge of her nose to her shuddering because of potential coldness. However, he'd like to think his maleness started it.

She broke the electric feeling in the air. "He's keen."

Blackhawk shrugged. "He's part of the furniture. He's bound to crack." He shifts his eyes from the beauteous woman to glance at his wristwatch, "It's almost noon, where's the place?" He met her eyes again.

"Western Avenue," she looked down at the deflated bud. "Back to old habits I see." She smirked, cocking him a skilled eyebrow.

He moved around her as he heads to the doors. "That's a nine-minute drive. Let's get a groove on Detective."

• • •