THREE

THREE | STRANGERS

THREE | STRANGERS

❝ look right through me,
     look right through me

SOPHIE'S POV

Only you'd be late on your second day, Sophie scolded herself in her head, as she made her way through the now-empty hallways. On any other day, she would've just brushed off the incident as what it was: an incident but not when she'd stayed up all night, tossing around in bed thinking about him. She just couldn't bring herself not to, no matter how hard she tried.

At first, she was convinced it was just the shock of seeing someone she used to know so well and remembered a certain way, five years -worth of changes- later. It was an understandable reaction, it didn't have to mean anything else or so she told herself. Until she'd allowed herself to fully acknowledge and think about just how much more attractive he was now, that's when she knew she was in trouble. Her brain hadn't made things easier for her either, considering it'd kept replaying their little encounter at the library over and over again in her head every five minutes.

So, she'd gone as far as taking extreme measures to make sure she wouldn't fall deeper into that hole, or at least that's what she called torturing herself by remembering all the embarrassing memories she had of love-fool-Sophie. It's how she'd ended up staying awake throughout most of the night and had accidentally overslept on her second day back.

She still couldn't believe she'd managed to make a fool out of herself in front of him, on her very first day back. It was almost too painfully embarrassing to believe, it just made her want to avoid him even more now. She just couldn't put herself through another embarrassing exchange between them. Though, the sound of Mr. Clarke's voice getting louder as she approached the classroom, made her think she was in for some more embarrassment today, at least not the kind she feared, or so she hoped. She knew for a fact Kai wasn't in Mr. Clarke's class so it made things slightly better.

He's not in Mr. Clarke's class... right? The question echoed in her head and she stopped dead in her tracks when she realized she wasn't one hundred percent sure. She'd been so preoccupied avoiding him and surviving her first day back, that she'd completely missed out on remembering and paying attention to who she shared classes with. She tried to recall exactly who was in that class but those memories seemed too much of a blur now, they all felt like one big haze of memories and empty faces she couldn't now place or call back to.

She did remember Chloe, Greg, Lana and Eve were in that class, mostly because they had almost the same schedule and she'd ended up seeing them more than anyone else, they were also the ones who approached her the most. She also remembered Rami, the school's new exchange student, who'd she'd actually enjoyed talking with and who'd made her feel like a normal student, instead of a zoo animal like everyone else had. That left out about 20 seats and faces she couldn't recall with certainty, and that made the dreadful possibility of Kai actually being in that class a lot more real.