NINE

NINE | WITHOUT REASONS

❝ What a mistake,
     saying the way I felt

SOPHIE'S POV

Joining committees was not something she'd included in her 'Senior Year experiences' agenda, or any committee for that matter, she knew it was a 'too-late-to-do' kind of thing when she'd joined Riverwood High a few weeks later than everyone else had. So, she considered the opportunity to be well past gone but now that Juniper had gotten her into not one but two committees, she'd put her in an impossible position.

She wanted to tell Juniper she couldn't make it work, it just didn't feel right to join that way but then the voice in her head that convinced her to move back to Riverwood, gave her two cents on the subject.

Being part of any committee was right up on the Harlow-Belenar senior year experiences she'd come back for, so her willingly missing out on yet another opportunity to have one of those experiences, didn't feel right at all. She was the former daughter of Riverwood High's 1968 Prom King and Queen, so the least she could do was try her hardest to go through as many experiences as senior year had to offer and make as much memories as her parents would've wanted her to, memories and experiences they'd made too.

Though, catching up with their high school selves was proving out to be a lot harder than she initially thought it would be. To say she'd severely underestimated the mental and emotional toll Riverwood and its people would take on her, would be a big understatement. Then again, she had no reason to believe five years would make up for one hell of a regression in the once nice and cheerful town she'd known, when she'd made the decision to come back.

Now, she was completely out of schedule and the little progress she'd made wasn't even out of her own initiative. She'd gotten completely sidetracked and she was done putting more excuses, so now that she was all caught-up in the academic side of things, she was gonna soak in teen spirit and go all out on the Harlow-Belenar senior year agenda.

And while she wasn't planning on being queen or president of anything, since it felt too Grease for her and she'd never really cared for that kind of stuff either, so she was ready to take on any extracurricular activities on her list and Juniper had offered her a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to do that, and she was going to take it, even if there was a high chance she was probably gonna end up regretting it by the end of the week.

She'd been off to a great start in keeping her teen spirit up-high all morning and then Chloe called an emergency homecoming committee meeting at lunch, she wanted to believe there was a real homecoming emergency but the dance itself was still weeks away, so all the signs seemed to point to the very real possibility of the meeting happening because Juniper had given the bad news to Chloe