|| 34.

The door opens and Aaron waltz in, smiling like he has won the lottery. My fingers itch to claw his eyes out, stain his suit with his blood the same way he stained his hands with Mike's blood but I sit there and seethe quietly. A throbbing starts in my left hand, the handcuffed to the bedpost and I don't bother to massage it or switch to a more comfortable position, it is my penance for causing his death. He is gone because of me.

Aaron!

I spare him a glance and shake my head, his name leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, how did I not see this? How did Paul not see past the disguise of his sweet errand boy? This tall devil patiently biding his time. He must have gotten tired of waiting for me to acknowledge his presence because he claps to get my attention but my eyes remain rooted to the ground. This room has no carpet, it has a rug that tickles my legs and reminds me of my first date with Paul.

When I cannot avoid him any longer, my eyes raise to his face. The smirk is still present, he won't let my moodiness dent his good mood which is great for him. At least one of us still knows what it feels like to be happy even if it's by causing others pain.

Aaron curtsies and gives a mock bow as the door opens. "Our guest is here." I roll my eyes and let out a loud hiss. Mad man.

My eyes follow the movement of the door to see his so-called guest and I do a double take as Paul walks into the room with a gun pressed to the back of his head. Aaron winks when he sees my jaw drop, I forget I am still cuffed and lunge at him only to be reminded of my condition at the intense pain that shoots up my wrist. It earns me a chuckle from him, Paul's head tilt but the gun keeps him from making another move.

"Thank you, Patrick," Aaron says and he gets a grunt in reply. Of course, it has to be him, he is probably the one who betrayed Mike. I don't try to wonder where Mary is or dare to ask about her before they turn on her too. If they haven't already, I do hope she's safe.

Patrick shoves Paul to the floor, cuffs his hands behind his back and walks out of the room, leaving us alone with this maniac.

"No," Aaron says with a shake of his head when he sees my lips part to rain a torrent of questions on Paul. "I do all the talking."

The corners of my lips twitch, I grin when Paul sends a wink my way, for the briefest moment, I pretend we are back in his house and everything is alright. My lips curl into a shy smile, the distance between us seems to disappear as we stare into each other's eyes and we only break off when Aaron claps and clears his throat. I hate how my heart skips, how excited I am to see him knowing my feelings got me into this situation.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you, not with another man's child in her belly."

Paul's eyes widen, the change is swift, his countenance changes and his jaw ticks. He looks away from me, his rejection feels like someone is shoving a dagger into my heart, twisting it until I can no longer breathe.

"He's lying," I cry out in a weak voice but I don't sound convincing even to myself. Aaron is deranged, he must have made that up to feed on my fears; fears I never told him about. I spare him a glance and look to Paul who averts his gaze. "He's lying."

When King and I had our office rendezvous, it was in the heat of the moment so none of us cared about protection. But I made sure to take the morning after pill which I got on my way back home. It is the only reason my period is two months late, not because I am pregnant for King. Yeah, the pregnancy kit sitting in my bathroom that I have been afraid to use also has nothing to do with it.

I have missed my period once due to stress and Lord knows I have been under a lot of pressure. From trying to finish up the many projects Mr Adams keeps throwing my way to chasing Paul, that's enough to delay my period. Yes, I nod, that has to be the case. God forbid I become a mother at this age. The kit on my bathroom sink is simply to satisfy my curiosity not because I fear a baby is growing inside me. I shake my head as if it will change the reality I fear is true, I am still Mma's baby, I can't be a mother.