Back in business

It was Monday morning and Peter knocked on Neal's door. He heard him call for him to come in on the other side so he opened the door. And there he was, young, handsome, smiling and charming like sunshine on a rainy day. God, how he missed having him around the past four weeks. He had dropped by to see him once or twice a week, but an hour with a beer was hardly the same thing.

"Ready to go back to work?" Peter asked.

"I've been ready for weeks, Peter. It was you who didn't want me there, remember?" Neal replied with a beam. Peter did not debate that.

"Figured you didn't mind to walk to the office," he grinned in return.

Neal flipped his fedora in an elegant move which landed it on his head.

"It'll be nice to be able to move more than sixteen feet in one direction without having to turn around, yeah."

Perhaps the thought of house arrest would keep him from doing some of his impulsive stunts, after all, Peter thought. He watched the kid as they walked along the streets of Manhattan. Neal had not told him, but even if he had books, paints, and a view, Peter was sure Neal had longed for human company and action. He was impressed that his pet convict managed to stay put and do his time without mishaps. June had probably been around more than she should, but it was her house. Besides, if it helped Neal to keep the deal, then he had no arguments against her visiting.

"I've got a new case ready for you. Figured you should get a light start."

"Please tell me this isn't gonna be another mortgage fraud case," Neal returned.

"What's wrong with mortgage fraud cases?"

"They're boring. You stare at paperwork all day."

Peter glanced at him. Unbelievable, this guy.

"You could stare at prison bars all day," he reminded the kid and began to smile the second he said it.

"Are you still playing that card?"

Peter grinned.

"Makes me smile."

"Glad I can make you happy."

Who would have thought this would be a standing joke between them? Though it was the harsh reality they both were aware of, they could use it for fun. In Peter's experience, you were better off if you addressed the elephant in the room. He had done so with Neal and his anklet and his background and the irony of him working for the FBI after they chased him for three years. It had worked. Neal had an anklet, sure, but Peter had noted that he no longer bothered to hide it. And everyone at the white collar office treated the kid as part of the team, with one or two good-hearted jokes, as they would with anyone on the team.

"Morning, Peter." Jones rose from his desk file in hand. "Glad to see you again, Caffrey."

"Glad to see you too, Jones."

The agent grinned and handed Neal the file.

"Mortgage fraud?" the kid asked and gave them both a smile as his question was answered with nods from both Peter and Jones.

"See you at lunch," Peter said and went to his office. He saw Neal placing his hat on the Socrates' head he kept on his desk and sat down. It was good to have him back.

Neal was glad to be out of the house arrest. It drained him. He missed people. It had not been torture as the solitary for four weeks in the prison had been. But he had to admit that he did not want to be in house arrest on a regular basis. What he had pulled off had been fun and a painting had been returned to its rightful owner, but it had a price and he had better remember it. He had to keep in mind that he almost ended up in prison, too. Peter would indeed put him back if needed.