Mistrust

Peter had hoped they would have a plan ready when it was time for lunch but they had not. He walked back and forth along the desk asking for information, sending people to check data, anything that had a hint of being possible to use. When Neal returned, everyone was on their feet and not a single idea came to his mind how this should be solved.

Peter searched out Neal with his eyes but he just looked back with a face as empty as a sheet of paper. He wished it was because he did not have any ideas and not because he did not want to share them.

For now, he just had to ignore the look from his CI.

"We know who we're after," Peter told the group. "Now all we need is proof that Avery is getting a cut of the profits in the room."

"Can't we get the boiler room books?" Jones asked.

Jones was reliable and trusty, but trick people was not his cup of tea. Well, he had too many of those already in the office.

"We make that request, we tip our hands and they close shop," Peter said. "No, we need another way."

"We set up a company they're exploiting. How about we set up a CEO to exploit them?" Lauren asked.

Peter turned to her, surprised. It was not common that she had ideas.

"Where are you going with this?"

"Let's say that the owner of Rhymer Pharmaceuticals is on to the scam. So he walks into Avery's office Earning reports and a share of the profits in exchange for silence."

Peter considered. It was not so bad at all. As a matter of fact, it was a splendid idea.

"We create the right back-story, give this CEO a working history, it could fly," he mused. "Question is who do we send?"

Could Jones do it?

"How about you?" Neal asked. "You look like a guy people can trust."

Peter smiled at the sudden flattering attitude from the kid.

"But I'd also believe you could be bought for the right price," the young man continued. There was something sharp as a dagger in Neal's voice but the second Peter's eyes darted back to the guy he looked innocent and smiled.

"If you played it right, I mean," he added as if smothering a blunder.

Peter glanced around the group of people. No one seemed to notice, and they were used to Neal and him joking. Not even Jones gave him a look.

"All right, that's all," he dismissed them and as they scattered across the office he walked to the kid and placed a friendly hand on his shoulder.

"Do we have a problem?"

"Why would there be a problem?" the young convict replied. "No, I'm just excited to see you go undercover. It doesn't happen very often."

It was the face and the tone of the Neal he knew, and the guy that could be trusted. Peter relaxed.

"It happens more than you think. I still have some active aliases," he told the kid not without pride. Maybe he could use some of the skills Neal had taught him on this one?

"You're a man of many faces," Neal replied, watching him with his intense blue eyes. The trust was there, but Peter felt it was flipped. For once it felt like the kid did not trust him.

Neal left for his desk and Peter remained glancing at him. The kid had been angry with him, but what had passed that night that had affected the kid's trust? Peter did not find an answer to that.