enO

Benji's POV

I was sitting in the passenger's seat of my best friends car, listening to every word she said. I didn't mind listening to Addy's problems, it reminded me how good I had it. Loving mom, loving dad, loving brother and loving sister. It was different in Addy's case of course. 

Addy: "I'm telling you, they dated for like 5 seconds and got married. AND they told me after they got married."

Me: "Well, what about your brothers?", I asked without thinking.

I knew she hated them. But mostly, she hated Chase. 

Addy: "Don't get me started on that jerk."

She pulled into our schools driveway before straighting her ponytail in the handheld mirror in her purse.

Golden Valley Institute for Gifted Boys and Girls. If anything it should be called Golden Valley Institute for Kids With Trust Funds. Me included, I must say. 

My dad is a physician who owns his own company and my mom is the principal of the school. Together, they make roughly $360,000 monthly. But I wouldn't consider my life perfect. My parents are super strict and on top of that, they're homophobic. I'm gay and so is my little brother but he won't come out, mostly because I won't let him.

Addy: "Real quick, you sure about this?"

Me: "What? Oh yeah."

It occurred to me that today was the last day of school and we had to choose captains for next year. I was going with Cody Orlove for Captain and Caleb Coffee for Co-Captain. We had practice over the summer still so, they weren't immediately in charge.

As we got out, I saw my little brother, Chris, who was in 10th grade, adjusting a skirt on the side of the school, with little carrots on it. I took a long sigh and waved Addy off.

Me: "You know what? Just go on without me."

Addy: "Alright."

I put my hand on his shoulder making him nearly jump out of it.

Chris: "Big bro, I swear, it's not what it looks like."

Benji: "Are you trying to get kicked out? Truly?"

Chris: "No, I just thought it looked nice." I sighed, I felt for him.

Benji: "And it looks really cute, okay? If you take it off now, I'll buy you a new bow for your collection."

I know bribery's mean and it solves nothing, I get it. But I've spoiled my little brother, rotten. I loved the little carrot.

He nodded and put on his regular khaki pants.

Benji: "There we go, carrot. Now, don't do anything too gay."

Chris: *Laughs* "I won't! Bye, Benji!"

I waved at the boy who ran off. I had no idea what that kid will do when I go off to college, I just feel like one day, I won't be able to save him.

-------