four

| family (n): a group of persons of a common ancestry; clan |

MERCY'S EYES WERE blank as she looked out the window of Mary's cottage, her mind swirling with all of the information she had just been shown. She sat cross-legged on a wooden rocking chair, her knees leaning slightly against the arm rests, but she didn't mind as she gently swayed back and forth. Her hair was braided down her back, and the afternoon was getting later, the sun letting out its last bright shine before it descended over the horizon. She watched as the trees' leaves moved with the wind, and remembered how much the green of these trees matched the ones in her strange dream.

She had been explained so much, and yet most of it was still trying to be figured out within her head. It was like a puzzle, but she remembered why they had done it this way. She remembered the three main werewolf Elders telling her that as she grew and became a woman that she would learn more about her role in the werewolf society. Right now though, she was supposed to learn all she could in order to protect the wolves. Whether that be spells, strength, or both, she felt this urge and desire to get what she needed to do accomplished.

And yet, she also felt this incredibly deep feeling resonating with the sights and sounds of nature. Every time she looked out of the window from Mary's cabin, she was fixated on what she saw, wondering why there was this new feeling of freedom in her chest. It was exhilarating, and she wished to go run around and maybe even explore what was out there, but as a voice cut through her thoughts, she was reminded exactly why she couldn't.

"Hi baby," her mom spoke softly, almost as if she were walking on eggshells around her daughter. She slowly sat in the chair across from Mercy. "How are you feeling?"

"Strange," Mercy responded, her eyes still fixated on the leaves outside. "But not a bad strange."

Hayley was quiet for a moment, and that was when Mercy suddenly turned to her, tilting her head. "Can I stay in the bayou for a few days?"

Hayley was surprised and glanced over at Mary, who was making some green tea for the mother and daughter before they were supposed to leave. The older werewolf shrugged her shoulders at Hayley's look, but Mercy didn't take her eyes off of her mom.

"I don't know if that's such a good idea, sweetie," Hayley began, but Mercy cut her off.

"Pretty please," she begged, widening her eyes to make her appear more adorable. "It'll just be a few days and afterwards we can go back to the city, but I feel like I need to be here right now."

Hayley pressed her lips together, searching Mercy's emerald eyes, but eventually, the mother sighed to herself. "Let me call your father and see what he thinks about it."