twelve

| warning (n): a statement or event that indicates a possible or impending danger, problem, or other unpleasant situation |

   MERCY COULDN'T SLEEP until her family had returned to the Abattoir, and even then, the dreamscape eluded her in the form of nightmares. When she woke up, the nightmare didn't seem to end. It was like reality was shifted sideways, where her mother and father were afraid instead of being the fearless protectors. Her Uncle Elijah was dead, that she knew for certain, but her family was confident in their abilities to bring him back.

The girl didn't know how that was even possible, but considering everything that happened since they stepped foot in the cursed city, she didn't ask any questions.

Mercy only found solace in this necromantic plan when Hope came over to talk in a gentle tone, one that was reserved for moments between them. Mercy felt the bond with her twin, and being close to Hope in their shared bedroom was the only thing that brought her enough peace to eventually fall asleep, her heart aching.

She felt as if she failed her uncle, remembering the way he had chatted with her so politely on the way to her treehouse. He was reserved, but she didn't mind, and yet despite it, the way he had ran back to the house with her was enough to prove that although Elijah hadn't spoken with her much, he was still family, and his loss hurt her heart deeply.

Not only that, but she could feel her parents' pain. The bond that linked her to all the wolves connected her to them as well, and their sorrow was one that had stabbed its way through her stomach. She knew that the pain was greater than what she felt, because the bond wasn't even fully formed at such a young age; she was only getting a fraction of what they felt, but it was agonizing.

When she drifted to sleep, Akela met her in her dreams, explaining with a sense of urgency that they needed to train. As Mercy fought against the children warriors once more, hearing Akela's strained voice barking corrections at her, she realized that something was deathly wrong. With her uncle's untimely demise fueling the Hollow, she would surely rise, and Akela was commanding Mercy in a way that signaled they had run out of time.

Mercy desperately hoped that wasn't the truth.

When she woke though, her mood was much brighter. The training with the wolves gave herself a distraction to focus on, and it also gave her a confidence boost on her family's capabilities. They would find a way to bring Uncle Elijah back; she was certain of it. Even if they had to slaughter the whole town, they would do it.

Mercy shivered at the lengths they would go to. She felt for her uncle as well, but the revenge that flashed through the werewolf bond whenever she was close to her father reminded her that he was a thousand years old. He would not react lightly to the murder of his brother, and it almost scared Mercy.

She decided to leave her parents and sister to their worrying. She felt a strange burst of energy, perhaps from her training with Akela, but she couldn't sit still no matter how hard she tried. She jumped out of bed and dressed quickly, happy that Hope had braided her hair the night before and she didn't need to deal with it today. She felt mischief sparking inside of her for what felt like the first time since she performed that advanced spell, and she left her bedroom with a wide smile.